Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a runner since 7th grade and now that I am 23 I want to get into road biking. I have been looking around online for bikes and have come across a couple and just wanted to get your opinions about them. I am 5'11 170ish and I plan on riding about 400-500 miles a month. I want to get an aluminum frame that has a carbon fork, cockpit and rear. The more carbon, the happier I will be. I am looking to spend around 1500-1600 and would like to get a bike that comes with Ultegra, but nothing less than 105. So these are the bikes I like so far, any other opinions or help would be awesome.

Ibex Aprisa Team Pro (~16.4 lbs)

Frame:6061-DB Aluminum w/ Carbon RearFork:EVO Carbon Fiber
Shifters:Shimano Ultegra STI - (2x10-speed)
Front Derailleur:Shimano Ultegra
Rear Derailleur:Shimano Dura-Ace
Crankset:Shimano Ultegra Double
Cassette:Shimano Ultegra - 12-25T (10-spd)
Chain:Shimano Dura-Ace
Brakes:Shimano Ultegra
Levers:Shimano Ultegra
Wheelset:Neuvation M28 Aero
Tires:Maxxis Xenith Hors Categorie
Cockpit Set:BEV Carbon
Saddle:BEV Soft Carbon
Pedals:Shimano R540 Clipless

or

Felt F65 (~19 lbs)

FRAME: Felt 7005 Superlite custom double-butted aluminum frame w/carbon seat stays, bulged seat tube, CNC’d head tube & BB shell
FORK: FELT C3 Carbon Fiber with 1-1/8” Alloy Steerer
HEADSET: Aheadset 1-1/8” Integrated
STEM: Felt ST 6061 3D Forged with 7° Rise
HANDLEBAR: Felt Alloy Ergonomic Drop, Ø31.8mm
SHIFTERS: Shimano Ultegra, 20-Speed
F/DERAILLEUR: Shimano Ultegra
R/DERAILLEUR: Shimano Ultegra
CRANKSET: FSA OMEGA, 2-PC Carbon with CNC 7075/T6 Alloy Chainrings, 50/34T
CHAIN: Shimano 10-Speed
FREEWHEEL: Shimano 10-Speed Cassette, 11-23T
BRAKE LEVERS: Shimano Ultegra Dual Control
BRAKES: Dual Pivot Alloy with Cartridge Brake Pads
SADDLE: Felt Race-Lite with Carbon Injected Base, Leather Cover and with CrMo Rails
SEAT POST: Felt Carbon Micro-Adjust
F/HUB: Shimano WH-R550 Aluminum with Sealed Bearings, 16H
R/HUB: Shimano WH-R550 Aluminum with Sealed Bearings, 20H
RIMS: Shimano WH-R550 Aluminum 24mm Parabolic Aero Section Rim with CNC Sidewalls
TIRE: Vittoria Action HSD Folding 700x23c
SPOKES: Shimano WH-R550 Bladed Stainless Steel Spokes
PEDALS: none

In the end I don't care about name. I want a quality bike where I will get the most bang for the buck.

·
Juanmoretime
2,201 Posts
Both are some nice components.

Felt is a more known name. Realize you might be swaping bars, stems, pedals, crank length, saddle and seatpost for a better feel and fit. If your dealing with a local bike shop this is good because they will get you fit right. Mail order is great if you know what you want but having to replace components to get you comfortable sometimes can eliminate the savings you realized. Some mail order companies will work with you but there is lost time sending it back and forth.

A couple of companies I would suggest looking into is Flyte, you will find a link to their website here on this site, sometimes it's the top banner. Also look at www.coloradocyclist.com the are closing out Litespeed's and you can get either a Firienze Ultegra for $1999 or a Tuscany for $2,499. Both Flyte and CC will work with you to have you very happy with your purchase and both have very good fit information to hopefully get it right the first time.

Good luck and enjoy the miles. I'm a runner that the older I get the more I love my bikes. Cycling is much easier on a aging body.

·
Banned
476 Posts
talk to another runner

my friend's wife who is a runner bought a bike from an ebay bike seller called sporty mother or something like that; who is a marathon runner

i thought it was odd, but she got a nice new bike at about half the shop price

you might find something like that on ebay

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
A few thoughts from another runner...

With your running background, I wonder if you might find yourself doing multisport events or are you looking to get into cycling (Cat races or club races).

If you think you may use the bike for multi races...remember that carbon road bars do not do well with clip on's (aero bars).

One other point, carbon is cool, but I'd suggest looking at Ti frames as well.

·
Registered
704 Posts
monkeybones said:
I have been a runner since 7th grade and now that I am 23 I want to get into road biking. I have been looking around online for bikes and have come across a couple and just wanted to get your opinions about them. I am 5'11 170ish and I plan on riding about 400-500 miles a month. I want to get an aluminum frame that has a carbon fork, cockpit and rear. The more carbon, the happier I will be. I am looking to spend around 1500-1600 and would like to get a bike that comes with Ultegra, but nothing less than 105. So these are the bikes I like so far, any other opinions or help would be awesome.

Ibex Aprisa Team Pro (~16.4 lbs)

or

Felt F65 (~19 lbs)

In the end I don't care about name. I want a quality bike where I will get the most bang for the buck.
Welcome aboard! THere's a lot of runners riding bikes around DC - just be thankful you're doing it from choice, I've met a lot who were 'forced' into it - knees seem to be the main culprit ...

See above - and go with a local shop. Take the time to find one you feel happy with, and don't get hung up on one make. At your price range, the offerings tend to be much the same and could well come from the same factory - almost certainly the same country. A good shop can set you up with a good fit - and there's little as miserable as a badly fitting bike, ask anyone round here - that will get you riding reasonably comfortably and efficiently until you can figure out how to change it to suit yourse.

In the end, you are the only arbiter of your riding position, and you have to learn by doing to meet that aim.

It's more popular to buy an internet bargain, but for something with the capability of making you love or hate the sport, I'd strongly suggest buying from a local store even if you have to spring a few more latte's worth. If you buy from a store, many of them will perhaps go as far as swapping your stem for little or even better if the one on the bike proves too short or long. I don't think you'll get that on an internet or Ebay special...

D

·
Banned
41 Posts
Look at ALL the online stores- email them all and...

collectorvelo said:
how many Lattes can you get for $1000
here you can get more than a few
at first I did not get that comment but I think he is trying to say you can save $1,000 over shop prices buying online.

I am still shopping for the best bang for my buck but I am not as rich as you - I only have $1300 to spend but saving more the longer my search is taking...
:)

anywho-

check out ALL the online stores - from my research - here they are:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=54321

At least at the $1300 level, the last time I looked, only bikesdirect had any selection to speak of - the rest either were sold out or had super odd ball sizes like super small and super large.

but- shop them all - email them all at the same time and see how fast they respond to you on a weekday. Give them your phone number and see if they call you- my racer friend just came back from riding his 6 hours (every day) and just yelled that at me so I have to put that in.

hope that helps
let us know what you get

·
Registered
773 Posts
One of the guys at our bike club bought a Fuji Roubaix RC with 10 speed Ultegra, TruVativ cranks, Ritchey bars and stem, and 10-speed Ultegra wheels.

I think the whole setup costs around $1700-$1800, which a few hundred more but the bike has a carbon fork and carbon seat stays.

Or you can try to build up your own bike. For $1500-$1600 budget, you can build a nice bike. Since the new 10 speed components are on the market, the 9 speed components are a bit cheaper. Only drawback on building your own bike is that it takes some time, but if you dig around then you'll find some great deals. Plus, you gain knowledge on how a bike works and you'll appreciate your bike more.

·
Juanmoretime
2,201 Posts
brerabbit2 said:
at first I did not get that comment but I think he is trying to say you can save $1,000 over shop prices buying online.

I am still shopping for the best bang for my buck but I am not as rich as you - I only have $1300 to spend but saving more the longer my search is taking...
:)

anywho-

check out ALL the online stores - from my research - here they are:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=54321

At least at the $1300 level, the last time I looked, only bikesdirect had any selection to speak of - the rest either were sold out or had super odd ball sizes like super small and super large.

but- shop them all - email them all at the same time and see how fast they respond to you on a weekday. Give them your phone number and see if they call you- my racer friend just came back from riding his 6 hours (every day) and just yelled that at me so I have to put that in.

hope that helps
let us know what you get
Add a hundred more and your there.

http://www.flyte1.com/soar/janette/store/SRS3_bike.asp

·
Banned
476 Posts
wheels are not great - my opinion

the wheels on that bike are heavy and not great for a race bike

Bontrager selects are not only a little heavy; but fairly low grade
you might want to upgrade those

if you like Bontrager wheels - the X-lits are much nicer -- and 335 grams less
now you have close to 1500 gram wheels - and much better quality

of course that is another added $500

·
Registered
6 Posts
yo monkeybones! im right with ya....i am a hardcore runner. im in the army so i kinda have no choice in the matter, but i still love it. whats your best and average mile time at? im actually in germany now and i think its the best idea to get a bike here over a POV. i mean in germany bicycles are considered vehicles anyway with the same right of way. i found this GREAT german bicycle company that, in my opinion, offers the best deal on road bikes that i have found ANYWHERE. i mean ive looked everywhere and searched endlessly for a good, solid, thrify-priced road bike. and i found this little itty bitty bike shop and they sold CUBE bikes. thats the name of the company...CUBE. let me tell you, for about $1300 i got a 64cm aluminum frame with CF fork, full ultegra 6600, fsa slk carbon compact crankset, shimano whr5550 wheels, and deda stem/handlebars. now i dont know what they offer in the states, but its a steal. it rides like a $5000 cannondale racer my buddy had. but i dont even know how you would get it into the states, theres almost no one that has even heard of the company. even on the internet theres barely one or two sites about it. but i must say......look into it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts