Discussion Starter #1
The shape of things to come? My friend brought this to my attention yesterday:

Nikon Press Release

Reshaping Nikon's Film Camera Assortment

As the film camera market shrinks and the popularity of compact digital
cameras increases, demand for products that offer advanced features and extra
value is growing rapidly. Additionally, the demand for high performance
digital SLR cameras is also steadily increasing as customers shift from film
SLRs or upgrade from compact digital cameras.
With film cameras accounting for an ever smaller percentage of Nikon's
total sales volume, the company has decided to concentrate its vast resources
toward those business categories that continue to demonstrate the strongest
growth. Consequently, as Nikon focuses more on the digital camera business,
the company must adopt appropriate measures to ensure its continued success.
With that, the Nikon film camera lineup will be reshaped, allowing more of
Nikon's planning, engineering and manufacturing resources to be focused on the
digital products that now drive our thriving industry. The measures that Nikon
will adopt include discontinuing production of all large format Nikkor lenses
and enlarging lenses, as well as several of our film camera bodies, manual
focus Nikkor interchangeable lenses and related accessories. Sales of these
products will cease as supplies are depleted.
Importantly, Nikon's film camera business will continue with our flagship
model F6(TM) and with the FM10(TM), allowing the Nikon brand to continue
serving the two strongest segments of the 35mm film camera market. Both
professionals and dedicated amateurs who continue to view film as their
preferred format along with students in need of an economical camera to learn
the fundamentals of photography will have ideal Nikon products from which to
choose. Additionally, Nikon will continue to produce the manual focus 85mm
f/2.8D PC Micro-Nikkor(R).
With the interests of its customers in mind, Nikon will offer continued
post-sale service for products whose production has ceased for a period of 10
(ten) years from Nikon Inc.'s last date of sale.
This shift in business strategy and in the utilization of resources will
allow Nikon to further its storied history and reputation as a leader in the
ever-growing digital market and continue to offer groundbreaking new products
and technology for photographers of all skill levels.

That makes me want to cry. I can see getting rid of one or two models, but they killed nearly the entire product line, just like that. I'm most surprised that they're getting rid of the FM3 model, and you'd think they'd at least keep one of the N55/65/75/80 series around.

Although I admit I do use my D50 most of the time, the FM10 still comes out for fun. Soon I'll have an FM2n to play with - I figured I'd go ahead and order one, in case the market does something crazy. I've been wanting one anyway, to complete my camera assortment. At least until I decide to grab a 35mm autofocus body on clearance.

I just wonder how long we'll be able to buy film.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
corpspeak.

400 freaking words for this:

we're going to move away from film and toward digital.

·
Cat 6
4,695 Posts
After shooting film for almost 20 years, spending the last few with a D2H and a D70 and JUST upgrading to a D200 I can firmly say that I'm not sad to see it go. Took my D200 to a Hurricanes hockey game last nite and loved it...I'm NOT missing my dark room disasters!

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
But the darkroom is so much fun. Film will never become completely obsolete.

·
Cat 6
4,695 Posts
Gig 'em said:
It'll be obsolete in 10 years guaranteed...processors and memory will overtake 35mm in the next few and after that medium format. It's very hard to believe that the next generations will never know that magical buzz you get from opening a fresh can of film...

·
Super Moderator
19,480 Posts
I have an F3 HP and love it. I use it to take slides of my vacation travels. I can't imaging 35mm disappearing. I hope it will still be available at least at photo enthusiast shops.

·
Cat 6
4,695 Posts
il sogno said:
I have an F3 HP and love it. I use it to take slides of my vacation travels. I can't imaging 35mm disappearing. I hope it will still be available at least at photo enthusiast shops.
Heh...it'll be going for $25/roll on ebay in 5 years. ;)

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
It will be impractical. Hell, it already is, but half the magic of photography is in the darkroom. Though it won't survive as an archiving format, it will survive as an art form.

·
Cat 6
4,695 Posts
Gig 'em said:
It will be impractical. Hell, it already is, but half the magic of photography is in the darkroom. Though it won't survive as an archiving format, it will survive as an art form.
I don't buy that but that's me. I personally believe dark room voodoo is a skill not an artform...nothing more. I'd rather have the same ability with software at 99% less headache and cost.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
chuckice said:
I don't buy that but that's me. I personally believe dark room voodoo is a skill not an artform...nothing more. I'd rather have the same ability with software at 99% less headache and cost.
Not me. Messing around in a darkroom is much more fun, and it's just as much of an artform as anything else. I find it much more satisfying to make some contact sheets, do the test strips, and churn out some good framable prints on an enlarger than applying a few Photoshop filters here and there, messing around with levels. But it sounds like you're speaking from a business point of view, whereas it's just a simple hobby for me. Either way, skill or art, it's just semantics.

I don't think it'll go completely obselete. I predict it'll turn into today's vinyl...a small corner of the market, sure, but still somewhat easily available if you know where to look, and with a small but very loyal following.

·
Cat 6
4,695 Posts
GirchyGirchy said:
I don't think it'll go completely obselete. I predict it'll turn into today's vinyl...a small corner of the market, sure, but still somewhat easily available if you know where to look, and with a small but very loyal following.
I hope so...it's still fun but just too time consuming for mass work.

·
a jumped up pantry boy
1,784 Posts
dark rooms are time consuming and smelly, but it really is magical to watch the image pop out of a white sheet of paper. you just dont get that same feeling loading the pictures into your computer.

·
Soon to be banned
14,475 Posts
Gig 'em said:
I haven't touched my old 35mm in about 10 years. While I've taken some amazing shots, especially in low light situations, I don't think I will ever lug it on vaca ever again.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
alienator said:
Good. This means the F6 I've been wanting will be better priced for me. I much prefer shooting film. Besides has anyone actually tried keeping herbal remedies in a CD jewel case? Not nearly as good as a film cannister.
nice sig AND av. i think we're going to get along just fine.

moreon.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Good. This means the F6 I've been wanting will be better priced for me. I much prefer shooting film. Besides has anyone actually tried keeping herbal remedies in a CD jewel case? Not nearly as good as a film cannister.

·
Coco Puff
2,119 Posts
Yup, getting away from a lost cause.

I spoke with a freind today, he has a collection of vintage cameras. As pretty and cool as they are, he was commenting that they became worthless overnight when all the film formats were discontinued. He said you could score this cool old Rolleiflex (sp) for like six bucks on ebay because they are basically paperweights now.

I have some really nice Canon eqpt I used for years until lately- it's just so much easier to use the digital pint and shoot. I think I could get a good digicamera body and use my same lenses, but I haven't persued that either...

·
Soon to be banned
14,475 Posts
alienator said:
Besides has anyone actually tried keeping herbal remedies in a CD jewel case? Not nearly as good as a film cannister.
"Herbal remedies?" Sounds like someone has a habitual case of the glaucoma? :D

·
Blaaahst!
313 Posts
Absolutely!

chuckice said:
Well said - I couldn't agree more. Like you, I much prefer the digital darkroom.

·
Cat 6
4,695 Posts
alienator said:
That's why they make fake lenses. Duh!

1 - 20 of 136 Posts