Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
March and most of April were bitter here in Vienna, but May is simply gorgeous. Today I headed out at 8:00 a.m. Not many people around, as you can see. The corner turret on the last building on the left is my office, by the way:

I' heading out on the right side of the Danube against the flow. Nice suburban bikepath where you can warm up your legs:

The Danube in all its majesty, with the power station Greifenstein in the distance. If you're pressed for time, you can cross over on its dam and head back to Vienna for a 25 mile loop:

I'm patiently waiting while the bike does its little business:

Now we're beyond the dam heading North. This is where the big boys do their speed work. The path goes all the way to Passau, Germany, and to Budapest, Hungary, in the other direction, about 300 miles total. One day I'm going to do it:

But today we're turning inland to hit the hills of the Wienerwald, which you can see in the distance:

Not, however, before looking at this recently (1600 years ago) abandoned settlement:

· Registered
444 Posts
great pics!
i was there this time last year and rented a bike. great riding.

that path along the donau... my family wanted to do that as a cycling trip when i was in high school. we ended up going to the alsace instead. we rented 3 speed cruisers at the train station in strasbourg and rode down to colmar and back. it was an awesome trip!

i still want to do the donau trip, though. where do people stay along the way? are there hostels are inns? or do you have to lug camping gear? i ask because i think it would be the ultimate cycling trip with kids. no cars, safe. lots of scenery.

great pics! ahh.. a beer at stephansplatz.

· Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi JH

there are plenty of inns and hotels pensions on the way. The path is called Donauradweg, I'm sure there's a website for it. I would imagine the only thing negative could be if you had constant headwind. You could do the way back on a ship. It can't be expensive.

Before I leave I will do the four country loop: Austria, Slovakia, Czec Republic, Hungary, and back. Can be done in a day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.