Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
14,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I commute about 6 miles each way, nearly every day. I rarely bail out because of weather, except for snow and ice on the road. I will generally ride in any amount of rain, unless other conditions make it too dangerous.

Last Thursday I left work as thunderstorms were approaching. I thought I would beat most of it. Heavy rain started after about a mile, and I was soon soaked. The winds were gusting, but I could handle it, I was pretty sure. At about the halfway point (where I leave the heaviest traffic zone) I figured I'd get home wet but intact. Then, as I waited at a light, a lightning bolt struck a pole maybe 100 yards away. I about jumped out of my skin. I sprinted for an overpass a quarter mile ahead, and called for the wife-driven sag wagon. Ride over.

· Registered
372 Posts
Sounds like my ride last thurday, was good weather when I left work but then with 6 miles left the t-storm rolled in. Kind of scarysince the lightning stikes were almost right overhead but none touched down near me that I could see

· Registered
551 Posts
I have an opposite story from Sunday. I have about 15 miles commute each way. Lots of dark clouds, but no rain so we went for it. It stayed dry except for a little road water. Got to work and the t-storm rolled in. By 2 it was gone and starting to clear up. Hit the road at 3 and home by 4 with only the lightest little sprinkle for less than a mile. That's called lucky cause there were dark dark clouds hanging around all day.

100 yards is a bit too close for comfort on a bike. wise choice calling in the support vehicle.

· Registered
365 Posts
I only dodge them if I know that I can dodge them. Coming close with a thunderstorm typically puts you right in the worst place in terms of exposure to lightning strikes.

On the other hand, rain rides with the right gear are kind of a nice change when you don't get them every day.

But yep, good call.

· Registered
189 Posts
I thought you were from CT

When I started reading your post and got to the part about the t-storms approaching last Thursday, I thought you might be from CT. Sure enough, I check your profile and my suspicions are confirmed.

Those storms last Thursday were pretty intense and I'm glad I chose not to ride to work that day. I don't think I've ever seen so much lightening in so little time.

PCM

· Registered
14,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right you are

PCM said:
I thought you were from CT

PCM
I was riding from downtown Hartford to Glastonbury. The wakeup call from heaven came at High Street and Brewer Street in East Hartford. Those storms were pretty intense.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.