Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There were three prision sentences handed down in the Chicago area recently. There were two guy who took turns deliberetely knocking bicyclists over with their car. The one who was drunk got 10 days in jail plus probation and community service. The other one got probation and community service. The third sentence was for 3 years for an Office Max store manager who stole 90K worth of merchandise over 2 years. The only good news is the bicyclists that were hit were not seriously injured.

· Registered
111 Posts
colombo357.....

Send me a PM on how i can join this group. I live in south orange country and i would be willing to head up a chapter here. I have been hit this year and my riding buddy just got hit the other day. I know about 10 guys here who would join.

karl

· Masters Neophyte
2,236 Posts
Joe the biker said:
There were three prision sentences handed down in the Chicago area recently. There were two guy who took turns deliberetely knocking bicyclists over with their car. The one who was drunk got 10 days in jail plus probation and community service. The other one got probation and community service. The third sentence was for 3 years for an Office Max store manager who stole 90K worth of merchandise over 2 years. The only good news is the bicyclists that were hit were not seriously injured.
I hear ya- even here in supposed bicycle nirvana Portland, we just a case where an enraged driver got into an argument and intentionally ran into a cyclist. He got probation :rolleyes: and two whole days of anger management.
There was an argument and the choad backed up his Kia "as fast as possible" (accdg to eyewitnesses) over 250 feet into the cyclist.
The driver was charged w/ First Degree assault. A judge found him Not Guilty.
The cyclist suffered severe brain injury.
I don't understand how this isn't "assault w/ a deadly weapon" or "intent to kill".. what a douchebag.

· Registered
857 Posts
I live downtown, in Chicago.

hotfeat1227 said:
can we dress like batman?
You can dress like the carbonLORD :p

I tend to leave an impression, with these...

Nothing says get the f*c% away from me like a set of carbon fiber knuckles...

But seriously, yeah, I'll join the Guardian Angels of cycling. Where do we sign up? :thumbsup:

· Registered
857 Posts
RRRoubaix said:
I hear ya- even here in supposed bicycle nirvana Portland, we just a case where an enraged driver got into an argument and intentionally ran into a cyclist. He got probation :rolleyes: and two whole days of anger management.
There was an argument and the choad backed up his Kia "as fast as possible" (accdg to eyewitnesses) over 250 feet into the cyclist.
The driver was charged w/ First Degree assault. A judge found him Not Guilty.
The cyclist suffered severe brain injury.
I don't understand how this isn't "assault w/ a deadly weapon" or "intent to kill".. what a douchebag.
A cab with a fare once drove aggressively close to me and we exchanged words at a stop light to which I spit on his windshield. His response was to ram into me cracking my HED 3 wheel with me ending up under the front of his car.

Needless to say all who witnessed this on the street were appalled and the woman passenger promptly got out of her car, helped me out from under his vehicle and proceeded to call the police.

The smug Middle Eastern cab driver waited for the police as many people on the street prevented him from leaving by scolding him and blocking his vehicle from escape.

The police came, asked me if I were ok and needed an ambulance to which I declined. The officers then asked if I wished to press charges.

The cab driver was cuffed and taken to Cook County Jail, his vehicle, impounded. His charge, Vehicular Assault.

The police on the scene made everyone well aware that they were going to basically destroy his cab during the impound process. I later discovered they were not joking as the cab ended up with no windows and 4 slashed tires.

I did go to court, I pressed full charges and his option was either a $5,000.00 fine and 2 years probation or 3-5 years in jail. He paid up and did the probation.

I was lucky.

· Registered
1,037 Posts
The whole situation would have been avoided if you had not escalated the situation by being aggressive and obnoxious. Was it really worth it to take a chance against a several thousand pound vehicle? I am not impressed and hope other cyclists will show better judgment.

· waterproof*
41,745 Posts
I know a guy who was hit by a drunk while riding. The criminal case is still pending, but the rider already won a pretty large civil judgement - enough to buy a motorcycle, a couple of bikes, and a sweet Land Rover.

Let's work inside the system. Cyclists already have a bad enough reputation for ignoring the law.

· Team Tom's
1,900 Posts
Creakyknees said:
I know a guy who was hit by a drunk while riding. The criminal case is still pending, but the rider already won a pretty large civil judgement - enough to buy a motorcycle, a couple of bikes, and a sweet Land Rover.

Let's work inside the system. Cyclists already have a bad enough reputation for ignoring the law.
As do motorists.

· corning my own beef
5,721 Posts
Creakyknees said:
+13^eleventy .. Amen, brother.

· Registered
857 Posts
dekindy said:
The whole situation would have been avoided if you had not escalated the situation by being aggressive and obnoxious. Was it really worth it to take a chance against a several thousand pound vehicle? I am not impressed and hope other cyclists will show better judgment.
Better judgement like letting a cab run you off the road or into a parked car?

No one took a chance. I was at a stop light and yes, if you try to run me off the road and then tell me to go @#% myself, a little spit on your windshield will be the least of your worries when I catch you at a red.

Stand up for yourself and don't be a pansy mate. My story was to inform, not inspire or impress.

These other victims should have pressed real charges and not settled for anything less then max fines and jail time. Instead their assailants got what, 2 months supervision? A joke IMO.

Maybe they need my lawyer.

You can tuck tail and run friend but some of us actually have a spine and stand up for ourselves, even if it comes down to blows. Deal with it and take my story for what you can do about it, not what I did before I was intentionally hit with a motor vehicle.

· Team Tom's
1,900 Posts
carbonLORD said:

No one took a chance. I was at a stop light and yes, if you try to run me off the road and then tell me to go @#% myself, a little spit on your windshield will be the least of your worries when I catch you at a red.

Stand up for yourself and don't be a pansy mate. My story was to inform, not inspire or impress.

These other victims should have pressed real charges and not settled for anything less then max fines and jail time. Instead their assailants got what, 2 months supervision? A joke IMO.

You can tuck tail and run friend but some of us actually have a spine and stand up for ourselves, even if it comes down to blows. Deal with it and take my story for what you can do about it, not what I did before I was intentionally hit with a motor vehicle.

Amen! :thumbsup:

9,925 Posts
carbonLORD said:

:thumbsup:

Agreed.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.