Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone found a solution to a problem that I've encountered all four times I've ridden a century?

I'm talking about nipple chafing...

It sounds a lot funnier than it feels.

Thoughts?

(My wife suggested I wear a "bro." She found that very funny.)

· Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Uh, a close-fitting baselayer doesn't do it for you?

Unless your centuries are on pave, it's something that's never troubled me...

I know runners just put some sports tape over 'em. I guess you could do that, too.

· gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
Argentius said:
Uh, a close-fitting baselayer doesn't do it for you?.
+1

while it's not my favorite base layer, the descente gray base layer fits snuggly, and leaves no room for your affliction.

· Registered
200 Posts
Vaseline

Chafing nipples is more of a problem in running than in cycling. If I know I'm going to sweat heavily in a shirt during a run, I apply Vaseline to my nipples. Triathlete friend of mine recommended it and it works well.

· Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat
4,622 Posts
Band-aids. Try 'em.

· Administrator
13,152 Posts
Craft base layer. I would try sports tape or band aids too.

:)

· Registered
4,459 Posts
AnyWeather said:
Has anyone found a solution to a problem that I've encountered all four times I've ridden a century?

Thoughts?

I've got a million of them. Thoughts, not nipples. But none of them would be very helpful.
OH man they're coming faster and faster.
Again, the thoughts, not the nipples.

· Still On Steel
2,396 Posts
BodyGlide

There are stick-deodorant-like products made specifically for this; BodyGlide is one brand name. I haven't used it on the bike but have when backpacking, and it works great. It's primary market is runners so try running shops. I got mine at REI.

Come to think of it, a couple healthy passes with unscented stick deodorant might work, too.

· Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
bikemoore said:
Chafing nipples is more of a problem in running than in cycling. If I know I'm going to sweat heavily in a shirt during a run, I apply Vaseline to my nipples. Triathlete friend of mine recommended it and it works well.
Wouldn't you have oily spots on the jersey where the nipples are? Hrmmm, I'm thinking I'd rather have sore nipples. The visual I'm getting from this is similar to the movie "Kingpin" when Randy Quaid walks out of the cooler... ::yuck::

· Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,419 Posts
Allez Rouge said:
There are stick-deodorant-like products made specifically for this; BodyGlide is one brand name. I haven't used it on the bike but have when backpacking, and it works great. It's primary market is runners so try running shops. I got mine at REI.

Come to think of it, a couple healthy passes with unscented stick deodorant might work, too.
Performance stocks Body Glide too.

· Registered
414 Posts
Pierce them!

AnyWeather said:

Thoughts?

Then chaffing will be the least of your worries... toughens them right up!

· I Type, Therefore I Am
1,842 Posts
Yep, I used small circle band-aids like this when I was training for a Marathon. Heck of a lot cheaper than the "Nip Guards" someone else recommended. But 'em by the hundred for cheap.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.