Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious thinking about this, is it possible to recieve a speeding ticket from an officer if you exceed the speed limit on a bicycle? Probably false, but just thought it was interesting.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Sure it's possible, although I imagine you'd need one very upset cop to bother with the hassle of writing you up. A bicycle is a vehicle; you've got to obey all the traffic laws. Running stop signs, breaking the speed limit -- they most certainly can write you up.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Actualy,, I bleive this has been posted before... Someone coming off a slight grade into a school zone got nailed for speeding, but I cna't remember who it hapened to.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
Visitor302 said:
Actualy,, I bleive this has been posted before... Someone coming off a slight grade into a school zone got nailed for speeding, but I cna't remember who it hapened to.
yeah they were doing 25 or 30 in a school zone.
however cops dont do it often, for example me and a riding bud were doing leadouts in a local park (curvy, low traffic roads), and i went flying around a corner at 34mph (in my lane, 2 lane road, not blind), at the end of a leadout, and he came around shortly thereafter at similar speed, in a 20mph zone. there was a cop in a cluster of trees, we both slammed on the brakes, he laughed, and flashed his lights at us.
$hit! so we pull over... Well, he actually said that he'd been watching us for a while, and that he was just turning a blind eye, as long as we were relatively responsible.
I think law enforcement tends to be nice to cyclists because they realize we're secondary citizens.

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
You damn skippy they can write you up. Although it does'nt happen very often they can still nail ya if they think you pose a traffic risk, even if it's just to yourself.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I've heard stories like those posted above, but I've never actually known anyone who's been cited. I'm sure it's happened though.

·
Soul Mining
390 Posts
I was given a $75 ticket for doing an illegal left hand turn from a major road onto a side road. Apparently left hand turns are prohibited at this particular intersection during rush hour, but legal at all other times. I went to court and had the fine reduced to $35. I think $75 for a simple bylaw infraction is a bit exorbitant.

·
Coco Puff
2,119 Posts
BTurn7 said:
I was just curious thinking about this, is it possible to recieve a speeding ticket from an officer if you exceed the speed limit on a bicycle? Probably false, but just thought it was interesting.
Could happen easily in a school zone.

I remember a bunch of years ago me and a buddy were riding miles to his place in a rural area of Western Washington state.

We were going along and had consumed a beer or two each from our backpacks. We were laughing and having a great time. It was a thirty mile or so ride and we were like 15 or 17 years young. The road was timbered two lane, with some fields. Empty road. We suddenly heard a siren right behind us and it scared the crap out of us. I dismounted the bike and fell into the drainage ditch by the side of the road. My buddy laughed hysterically.

The cop set us in the back of his cruiser. We tried not to breathe beer fumes. He says " I know you boys were doing something wrong, I just gotta look it up" after a bit we got tickets. Impeding traffic. pfuhh, right.

Strange thing. We never got the summons in the mail.

Several years later I was getting a traffic stop. Cop say's "you know, you gotta warrant" ?

pfuhh right.

Down at the jailhouse....

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Getting a ticket for bicycling like an idiot is pretty easy. I wish the cops would crack down on more of that stuff (wrong way riding, running red lights, etc.). That would make riding safer for everyone. I know some towns have created reduce rate tickets for bicycle infractions just to encourage cops to do more enforcement.

Getting a ticket for speeding on a bicycle on a public street is pretty difficult, in more ways than one. You're more likely to get pulled over for riding dangerously than for speeding. If I got a ticket for doing 40 in a 25mph zone on my bicycle, I would get it printed on jersey.

·
Registered
163 Posts
A couple of local team members got $250 ticekts for rolling a stop sign. But, what boggles my mind is the fact that the tickets will go against their driving records.

boon said:
i was once cycling with a friend, who happens to be a cop. he was breaking every road code.
That seems to be a common attitude among many LEOs. See this site for confirmation.

http://www.copswritingcops.com/index.htm

·
Registered
463 Posts
Here in Montreal [Quebec] the cops / gov't is trying to change the culture. About 2 weeks ago they started ticketing j-walkers like crazy and to go along with that they're clamping down on cyclists running read lights, cars stopping in the middle of intersections cause they snuck in under the yellow etc.

So last week, after a ride I stopped at the wife's work [doontoon MTL] to pick her up, [she rides to work] we were riding home and i zipped a light, she stopped. Apparently when i did it a cop put his lights on and was just waiting for the light to turn [no rights on red on MTL island] before he came after me, but I was quite far gone by the time it did, so he didn't bother. Anyways, came very close to getting nailed.

The funny thing about MTL is that ppl are complaining how the new strictness is a bad thing... cause it's changing Montreal culture. Funny eh ?

·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
yup. i got nailed by the NYPD back in the early 90s. still kicking myself for pulling over. the worst part is that the cop 'chased' me on one of those 3 wheeled go-karts.

back around then i can also remember the cops in Central Park trying to enforce a 15 MPH speed limit. They were pretty facist about it, one time a cop went into the middle of the pack ride (which wasn't going all out) and took down a cyclist, and himself at the same time. he meant to take down the cyclist, his own ineptitude caused him to join the guy on the tarmac :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.