Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

So, last winter (Feb 08?ish) I was a lab rat for a Uconn grad student's cycling study, involving the effect of caffeine on your body at cool temperatures and hot temperatures. So, after initial testing (VO2 max) and a familiarization session, i spent four consecutive Wednesday evenings in the cellar of Gampel Pavilion, pedaling away.

Procedure:

Alternating 15 minute sessions of intensities of 60 and 70% of my absolute VO2 max...he had some formula to figure out which wattages to use. This lasted for an hour and a half. We'd receive water every 15 minutes according to our sweat rates, and blood would be drawn every 15 minutes, and then plasma would go back in.

Tests were performed on a $10,000 bike that either measures watts, or you set it to give a certain resistance in watts, regardless of cadence. Very cool piece of equipment. He tossed an Arione saddle on there, which was OK but not great (I'd sold my the summer prior). He also had us bring our bikes in during the info sessions, and he took all the measurements so it was identical.

Test: This 1.5 hours of time was basically to work you to some level of fatigue, where you'd then do a 15 minute time trial. This was the main part of his test, to see how caffeine intake (equivalent of 4(3?) cups at 0 minutes and 45 minutes) would affect your performance in heat and cold. My results are attached.

Question!!!!

My lactate threshold seems awfully low. I kind of took a year off last year, so I was by no means in the best shape (especially considering it was Feb), but is that a reasonable number to expect? The grad student did say they could only estimate our lactate, but the fact that it's pegged right in the middle of the 15 minute fatigue settings tells me that my lactate would rise during each 70% interval.

Overall results:

While his dissertation is coming up this month, according to my informal findings (ie. between my results and my two roommates) we all improved drastically during the heat trial with caffeine. Cool stuff.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
?-do you normally drink coffee/caffienated drinks?
Interesting results, BTW.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Caffeine adaptation

ctracer01 said:
didn't touch caffeine for about a year leading up to the test besides the occasional cup of tea
The effect (positive) of caffeine is well known and documented. There used to be people using caffeine suppositories (!) so they put limits on the amount of caffeine you were allowed in a blood test. That said, caffeine is a lot more effective for people who are not regular users. You do adapt to it, and the effect therefore is less if you drink a lot of coffee or soda with caffeine.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Dose makes the poison

ctracer01 said:
I knew caffeine has a positive effect, but it was my understanding to avoid it in heat, as it escalates heart rate and increases dehydration. but i may be completely wrong.
No, you are not wrong. However, in order for it to have any serious effect, you have to take in quite a bit. Some "researchers" and "scientists" seem to not be able to tell the difference between the effects of high doses and low doses. Andrea138 is correct.

·
Registered
896 Posts
re your LT etc:
the best way to find true LT in a lab is to draw blood every couple of minutes and analyze it. estimating off v2max may not be valid.
your V2max power is not bad. 4.7watts/kg is ok up to a cat 3 I would say.
v2max volume of 58 is also enough to work with. you will never be pro however
your LT power of 3.1w/kg is where you need to work hard. with proper training you should be able to get LT to 85%+ of v2max.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts