Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
oh lonesome road for you
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd post some pictures from my ride in to my summer job. It's 14.5 miles one way and in addition to having some scenic bits, lets me see a pretty good cross-section of the city.

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
The last shot (no shoulder) looks like the first/last 10 miles of my commute. I did the STP a few weeks ago and my dehydrated, exhaustion riddled brain registered the fact that the Portland streets are well marked for bike traffic.

·
oh lonesome road for you
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To be honest those pictures were taken on the main bicycling bridge during rush hour during good cycling weather. During the winter there are definately fewer commuters, but still more than you might think.

·
Registered
15,619 Posts
Around here, bikes are what you use if you're "too poor" to own a car. Ironically, car insurance rates are ridiculous, like the rest of the costs of living, so you'd think *more* people would bike.

Love the bike traffic photo!

·
Have a nice day
5,878 Posts
Christine said:
Around here, bikes are what you use if you're "too poor" to own a car.
That's mostly true here as well, and my town is in Oregon only an hour south of Portland.

It seems to be changing however. I am starting to see more cyclists in town who are not DUI tweakers or unemployed teenagers on Magnas.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Great post, but where's the fenders on that Oregon bike? :)

I just watched the special on this weekends news on the Portland (among other towns) bike scene. Pretty cool.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My daughter just got back from a trip to Portland, where she and her boyfriend are moving to in a few months. They are very excited about the city and how bike friendly it is (not that our home town isn't, but Portland is apparently more so). She's going to convert her vintage Motobecane to a single speed. We'll see how she does in the rainy season.

·
Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
Where do you commute from? I'll probably be moving to Portland in the near future, and ideally, commuting by bike. My wife is from there and has family in Milwaukie and Happy Valley. I'm wondering about how doable a commute to downtown would be.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Happy Valley to Downtown is about the easiest commute you can get in Portland, so long as you don't have to go up Mt.Scott on the way home!! There's a major trail called the Sprintwater that goes from downtown all the way out to Gresham and for the most part, it's pretty decent. My commute follows Johnson Creek Blvd along the trail (i prefer the smooth asphalt to the chip seal) into Sellwood. Then the Springwater up to downtown and across the river and on into Beaverton. 20 miles and nearly all of it is trails or really wide bike lanes. :thumbsup:

·
oh lonesome road for you
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
tuffguy1500 said:
Happy Valley to Downtown is about the easiest commute you can get in Portland, so long as you don't have to go up Mt.Scott on the way home!! There's a major trail called the Sprintwater that goes from downtown all the way out to Gresham and for the most part, it's pretty decent. My commute follows Johnson Creek Blvd along the trail (i prefer the smooth asphalt to the chip seal) into Sellwood. Then the Springwater up to downtown and across the river and on into Beaverton. 20 miles and nearly all of it is trails or really wide bike lanes. :thumbsup:
When I commute in from my dads I ride the entire length of the springwater. The pictured commute starts on Mount Tabor.

·
The web is a MUT
1,380 Posts
Nice report. But could someone please adjust the thread title? Either make it Portland or Poorland, I keep reading it as a play on words by using a bike to commute.

I've got relatives north and south of Portland, thought about moving back to that region, but available work and wife's relatives keep us here near the other Milwaukee.

And I don't know why, but I find this picture amusing in a good sort of way.
Good stuff :thumbsup:

One question, do they all make it through the light on the green?????
m_s said:

·
Le Misérable
4,377 Posts
nostalgia...

This is fantastic! I lived in Portland for 7 years in the 1990s and commuted to work (various McMenamins pubs, I trust they're still doing OK:)) and then for the last 3 years to graduate school at PSU on my bike...I've lived all over the world and Portland is one of the friendliest bike-commuter cities around. Good LBS's, more-or-less aware drivers, and almost zero days lost to weather (you can always go fenders and warm rain gear...I only missed one commute due to the weather, during a freak snowstorm around 1997 or so).

I live in Lyon, France now and the biking is great as soon as you get out of the city, better than anywhere I've seen in the US, but for city commuting Portland rocks. Thanks for the memories!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.