Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so tonight i;m on my way home via my normal flat, level route along the bay, into the wind (maybe 10mph, nothing serious).
I'm still scared of being on the road at the mo since I got hit by a van so i'm on the rather good cycle path.
It's a bit early in the ride so i'm slightly higher than my lactate threshold when a dude on a mountain bike pulls up and asks if he can draft off me.
Of course! I say, feeling a bit honoured since I know i suck but also aware that I can't keep up this pace (i'm comfortable around 20mph but am doing about 23). What do I do? Try and keep the same pace of course!..and burn out after 5ish miles. Mr mountain bike then cruises past after asking if my powertap is a dynamo hub(?).
this is the second time i've been overtaken by a mountain bike and it f*ckin sucks!

I wonder, does having someone drafting off you make you want to push harder? I definitely pushed harder tonight than I ever have on my own, but it was pretty stupid really.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I do work harder in a pace line but not harder than myself or anyone else can maintain. He was obviously comfortible at the speed you were at or he wouldn't have wanted to latch on. You probably were killing him on a mtb at 23 mph if he was using mtb tires.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
vontress said:
I do work harder in a pace line but not harder than myself or anyone else can maintain. He was obviously comfortible at the speed you were at or he wouldn't have wanted to latch on. You probably were killing him on a mtb at 23 mph if he was using mtb tires.
'cept he passed me when i burnt out...

·
turtle killer.
1,854 Posts
shoulda moved right and dropped behind him earlier ;)

·
Registered
11,066 Posts
we had a four-man line working the other night, and some dude from Team Cotton rolled by us about 25-26 mph on a fat tire Klein rig and casually motored on out of sight.

egos were bruised.

it happens.

·
What the what???
12,711 Posts
Story of my life... old dudes... moms pulling Burleys... hybrids and MTBs... After a while you learn to ride your own ride and enjoy your time on the bike.

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
you dont know if he just started his ride and that you've been riding all day and that you're tired. everyone just do their own thing. if i see a fast MTb biker on the road i dont try too hard to chase him down only to let him pass me after. i just laugh to myself thinking how inefficient they on their bike geometry is. road bikes are faster on the road period.

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
kreyszig666 said:
.... What do I do? Try and keep the same pace of course!..and burn out after 5ish miles. Mr mountain bike then cruises past after asking if my powertap is a dynamo hub(?).
You know, honestly, I can understand the guy's confusion. Dynamos are much more at home on a bike path than powertap readings and lactate thresholds.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
kreyszig666 said:
i'm comfortable around 20mph but am doing about 23).
There in lies your problem. Golden rule number 1, when leading a group or one rider make sure and ride at your pace or you will eventually bonk. End of story. The bike does not lie. Next time slow it down to 19 and get in your rhythm...that speed that you can hold all day.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
If Mr. Mountain Bike had racing tires, his rolling resistance wasn't actually that much worse than yours. And sitting in your draft negated the other disadvantages he had due to equipment selection.

And always remember... You never know if someone has a year of riding behind them, or fifteen years of training and racing.

I got dropped by some dude on a titanium bike today. Those guys are rarely fast. Had to remind myself I'd just done a really big, at least for me, hill climb and was already hours, miles and vertical into my ride. (He still had to ride like an ******* to do it, though. :D )

·
Custom User Title
359 Posts
many of the Team Cotton crowd are followers (of sorts) of The Rules. not all of them of course, but certainly of Rule V.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Opus51569 said:
Story of my life... old dudes... moms pulling Burleys... hybrids and MTBs... After a while you learn to ride your own ride and enjoy your time on the bike.
+1 on that, in life there's always someone that's going to be faster, richer, more handsome than you. the sooner your accept it and go within your limit the better off you'll be... hehe not to say that you shouldnt try harder just dont kill yourself

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Opus51569 said:
+1.
The last few rides I've taken the CF bike out...I enjoy it. I get passed by all kinds and they are probably thinking dude on CF can't ride worth sheep. Maybe but the ride is for me, not them.

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
kreyszig666 said:
this is the second time i've been overtaken by a mountain bike and it f*ckin sucks!
I hear they are smellier than roadies, is it true ?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
lessons learnt, don't try to pull to impress, and just enjoy the ride.
having said, that my average power was up for the whole ride so I could do with pushing a bit harder anyway!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts