Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Warning, if you are planning on riding the Deathride and don't want to see what it looks like then don't proceed with this post. Otherwise enjoy. :D

Today we decided to do 3 passes of the Deathride to get a taste of it before July 12. Originally we had planned on doing 117 miles and to include a trip down to Bear Valley on Highway 4. This blew up as most of my crew showed up about an hour late due to a little too much drinking the night before. Oh well, what can you do. So, we started out at 8:30 in the morning into an already warming morning to do 65 miles and 7,300 feet of elevation gain. Still not a bad day all in all and the heat nearly wiped me out anyway (pretty sad when I'm talking 77 degrees at 8,000 feet I guess :cryin: ). Anyway. . .

We started out from Markleeville, CA and headed up Highway 89 to Monitor Pass where we began the long and arduous climb up to the top of the Pass. We lost one rider about halfway up but the rest pretty much flew up the hill. Not too bad. We're getting smoke from the California fires but today it wasn't too bad overall.

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Screaming Downhill and Onto Ebbetts

After a snack of Cliffbars and Double Stuffed Oreos we headed back down Monitor with a crazy tailwind pushing us down all the way. It's something to be able to hit 55mph without trying to hard (sorry, no pics, I was getting pretty nervous). After coming down to the bottom with a lot of nervous laughter from the descent we headed up Highway 4 to Ebbetts Pass. For those of you who haven't ridden this, it can really fool you. It starts out nice a fairly easy to lure you in with the great views of the low, dry mountains and the bubbling Silver Creek alongside the road. And then. . .you hit the dreaded cattle guard. Get ready for that 15% or so climb from this point on. In the couple of years I've ridden the DR I've heard people go down both times because they dropped they're chain desperately trying to find a lower gear. Fun times.

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Over the Pass to Hermits Valley and Back

As you head up to the pass you find yourself riding alongside Kenny (?) reservoir. Great place to take a break if you're feeling burned out at this point. My wife wanted to take a quick break and to enjoy the scenery before the last 1.1 mile climb to the top. I figured I might as well take yet more photos. Keeps me entertained :). At the top of the pass we had a friend meet us with food, water, and beer! OK, well we didn't drink the beer but boy did it look tempting!! We then descended into Hermits Valley and made a quick turnaround for a hot, sweaty climb back to the top. Little shade, a steady hard climb, and a slight tailwind to keep the heat on had me pretty worn out by the top.

And then it was the screaming downhill back towards the direction of Markleeville. I feel this ride is one of the more scenic that we can do around my neck of the woods. It's impressive every single time I hit it. Even if you're not doing the DR you should hit these roads if you ever get a chance.

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
The day before we got married we took the tandem out and did Monitor and Ebbetts. Nice memories......

BTW Around here we are putting on extra layers if it gets down to 77 with that high mountain dry air.

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We haven't been keeping track. I'd imagine that MB is actually getting more with his hill country rides and Coop has been racking them up also. We've been doing about 10,000 per week or more I believe over the past 2 months. Not sure before then.

· In need of sock puppet
9,451 Posts
Ridgetop said:
We haven't been keeping track. I'd imagine that MB is actually getting more with his hill country rides and Coop has been racking them up also. We've been doing about 10,000 per week or more I believe over the past 2 months. Not sure before then.
Went out for a 3,000' climb after work today, but flatted a mile from the house. Brand new set of Conti GP4000 in 700x25, on the lightweight climbing wheels, trying 'em in advance of the DR. I was all meh after the flat, so I went for short wussy beach ride instead. I fail today.

· had it in the ear before
14,158 Posts
where can i get one of dem Merican flag bug sheilds thats on that hevy chebby?

awesome report hoss. cant wait to ride Tahoe!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.