Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any pro's use a triple crank than a double?

I know people mostly use triple's to be easier on hills and what not.

ANYWAYS, is it possible to go 30+ MPH on a triple?

Myself, I live in California which is pretty hilly here and I do plan on going really fast.

I am the type of person who likes to joy ride and go 30+ MPH.

Thanks =)

BTW, does anyone know how much the Trek Pilot 2.1 weighs?

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Eschelon said:
Pros don't ride triples.

It is possible to go 30 mph on a triple...but if you can hammer at 30 mph...why do you need a triple? It seems a double would do just fine.
not quite true...there have been some hilly stages when pros have ridden triples.

·
Premium Member
20,696 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
not quite true...there have been some hilly stages when pros have ridden triples.
What he said. Roberto Heras use a triple on the Veulta one year...

and you can go just as fast with a triple as a double..The big ring on both is the same size....they are both 53T

·
Captain Obvious
11,956 Posts
many times they will use compact cranks over a triple. at least from what i've seen.

triple vs double should make no difference in how fast you go. just give you different gear ratios and ranges.

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
tomk96 said:
many times they will use compact cranks over a triple. at least from what i've seen.

you sure 'bout that? a 50t big ring seems likely to get a pro smoked on the flats. triples have been used rarely, and only in killer mtn stages (e.g., Vuelta's Angliru)

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Riding on a triple is a little like wearing Depends on the outside of your pants. Compacts are like wearing them under your pants. Unless they look hard, no one can tell.

As for your question, Yes, Pro's ride triples and compacts, a few times a year. (when a 27 won't cut it)

·
Registered
838 Posts
livin4lax09 said:
i guess you missed my point.
Your question cannot be answered. When I was "brand new to biking" at about age 5 (with training wheels), I would suppose I went about 2 MPH. When I was reborn to cycling as an adult, I guess I went about 12 MPH. Depending on who you ask, I would guess that people who are "brand new to biking" might go anywhere from 2 MPH to 30 MPH at every possible tenth of a MPH in between. It's tough to go much less than 2 MPH without training wheels.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Triples are better both uphill and downhill than compact doubles, but only better uphill than regular doubles. But like Mr. Grumpy said, if you feel low gearing makes you inadequate and are ashamed, you should hide it by using a compact, in spite of its limitations.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.