Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a SE Lager and I love it. I use it for biking around town/commuting as well as for longer distance "tour-esq" bike rides. This bike is great for the former. I never worry about it getting dinged up or stolen (it doesn't really stand out). This bike will be coming with me out to chicago next year for college and i expect it to see its fair share of bad weather. Taking this into account, I have an interest in finding another bike for those longer distance rides with upgraded parts and such. The lager is fun to ride 20-30 miles but i feel like I could be getting more out of my bike on those rides. I don't want to spend much money on upgraded components for the lager. Do you think it is smart to get a second bike for those longer distance rides or should i just stick with one at this point?

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
Fundamental question

Do you want a multi-geared bike for "those longer distance rides"? Or are your longer rides expected to be in flat places where a SS is enough. "Upgraded parts and such" is pretty vague. What you're really asking is whether you need/want a conventional road bike -- i.e., a bike with a range of gears. Most riders (me included) would say that if you're going to do longer rides in any but the flattest terrain, and especially if you're going to ride with any sort of group, a road bike is the right tool. Not too many people ride only SS.

There isn't really much to "tune up" on a SS or FG.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The geometry of the bike is fine for my body, but riding long distances kills my butt. I guess I need a new saddle. The stock one on the Lager is pretty uncomfortable. The rides i take are normally in flat areas so riding SS isn't an issue. But I think getting a road bike is a good call, I just never really considered it nor do I know much about them. Anyone feel like schooling a n00b?

·
hello
3,395 Posts
I would work out the saddle issue first before even thinking about getting another bike. What makes you think a different bike is going to make you feel more comfortable?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
roadfix said:
I would work out the saddle issue first before even thinking about getting another bike. What makes you think a different bike is going to make you feel more comfortable?
I don't think a new bike will make me feel more comfortable but i think it will allow me to bike on hilly terrain (as opposed to being restricted to relatively flat terrain). Now I know getting another SS is a silly idea because i would like to try biking on some more varied routes (in terms of elevation change).

p.s. any recommendations on a new saddle?

·
Registered
453 Posts
slozoff said:
I don't think a new bike will make me feel more comfortable but i think it will allow me to bike on hilly terrain (as opposed to being restricted to relatively flat terrain). Now I know getting another SS is a silly idea because i would like to try biking on some more varied routes (in terms of elevation change).

p.s. any recommendations on a new saddle?
By all means get a geared bike, but Chicago is /=/ hilly. Besides, depending on your gearing, fixies are very rideable in hills. I take my 42x16 on 95% of the hills I ride my geared bike on in N NJ (generally 300-600 foot vertical hills, some steep). It's not nearly as efficient or fast but it's certainly rideable if you don't mind a little standing and grinding.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
ASWood said:
Fizik Arione & a decent pair of shorts.
Sorry. I've been cycling for 40 years and the Arione is the first saddle I can't stand. I've had Flites, Regals, Rolls, Turbos, Concors, and Brooks and liked them all.

Granted, saddles are very "personl" things, but the Arione is not the end and be all.:(

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
goldsbar said:
By all means get a geared bike, but Chicago is /=/ hilly. Besides, depending on your gearing, fixies are very rideable in hills. I take my 42x16 on 95% of the hills I ride my geared bike on in N NJ (generally 300-600 foot vertical hills, some steep). It's not nearly as efficient or fast but it's certainly rideable if you don't mind a little standing and grinding.
yeh, I do bike around suburban philadelphia which can be pretty hilly. It can get tough sometimes on my 46x16 but its fun getting out of the saddle. I've never biked chicago but it seemed relatively flat when i was out there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Richard said:
Sorry. I've been cycling for 40 years and the Arione is the first saddle I can't stand. I've had Flites, Regals, Rolls, Turbos, Concors, and Brooks and liked them all.

Granted, saddles are very "personl" things, but the Arione is not the end and be all.:(

Didn't say it was - just giving a recommendation as the OP asked for.

I will say that a bunch of the guys I ride with have them, so that swayed me to try one and it was loads better than other saddles I tried...granted I didn't try many other >$100 saddles.

I actually also found the WTB Shadow V to be comfy, but a bit less so than the Arione.

And yes, saddles are more personal than most people's sex life.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Believe it or not, I live in Chicago and I ride a 2008 SE Lager. The stock saddle is awful, I only used it to ride 3 miles home from the bike shop and then I slapped my Brooks B17 on it and couldn't be happier.

I also flipped the stem so the bars would be higher. I'm 6'4" and I bought the 61cm frame size.

The only problem I have with the bike is that my hands get numb on longer rides because for some reason a lot of my weight ends up on my hands. I'm thinking of getting new bars but I might try moving the brake levers down to a flat bar position. I live 4 miles from the Loop and am constantly dealing with traffic and peds and many other obstacles and I would prefer to have my hands in the flat bar position and not have to worry about how quickly I can brake. I actually prefer a more upright riding position and I don't worry too much about aero. I just want to enjoy my bike rides- speed is not everything.

To answer your question about Chicago- it is not very hilly at all. The only "hills" I encounter are small bridges and I have no problem with the 46/16 gearing on the Lager. I just stand up and let her rip, and it actually doesn't even take that much effort.

Also, it worries me that you don't think your Lager is anything worth stealing. You should change that mindset before coming here and make sure you lock up good and tight. Bikes are stolen every hour here. Don't take my word for it though- http://stolen.bikechicago.info/

And those are just the ones that get reported...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I mean I am worried that my bike could get stolen. I always lock it and have one of those rope-type things that goes around the back wheel. I just think the lager is a more low profile bike then lets say a bianchi pista or cannondale capo. But your right. If there is one thing that that web-site you posted has told me, its that people will steal any bike. so yeh, im sufficiently worried.

·
Registered
25 Posts
slozoff said:
i ended up buying the Fizik and I cant wait to do some real riding on it. I signed up for the ACS (american cancer society) 53 mile bike-a-thon this weekend so I'm hoping for a fun and meaningful ride!

Have fun exploring the multiple saddle positions! I've found at least 4 so far and use two of them quite often.

·
Registered
16 Posts
slozoff said:
I mean I am worried that my bike could get stolen. I always lock it and have one of those rope-type things that goes around the back wheel. I just think the lager is a more low profile bike then lets say a bianchi pista or cannondale capo. But your right. If there is one thing that that web-site you posted has told me, its that people will steal any bike. so yeh, im sufficiently worried.
Yes they will steal anything that isn't properly secured. Doesn't matter what it's worth, but I do agree with you that a shiny chromed-out bianchi would be more likely to get stolen than the Lager.

Here's some "tips" for locking up in Chicago-

1.Don't leave it locked up outside over night (if at all possible).
2.Don't lock up to a street sign that is bolted down to the ground- they can and will unscrew the nut from the bolt, lift up the sign post through the u-lock, and carry/ride/drive your bike away (parking meters are better because they are cemented down).
3.Don't lock up to a tree if possible, especially small ones (they'll just cut it down and take your bike).
4.Don't even think about using a cable as your primary lock- get a proper u-lock and use a thick cable to secure your other wheel and your seat.
5.Don't leave your accessories on your bike while locked up if possible.

And it doesn't take long for your bike to be stolen. I just spoke with a guy the other day who locked up to a bolted down street-sign post because he was only running in to a store for ten minutes. His bike was long gone when he came out, ten minutes later.

I don't want you to think bad of Chicago but you should be prepared because there are some desperate people here who will do just about anything for a dollar or two.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
so i did the ACS bike-a-thon yesterday on the Lager with the new Fi'zik saddle and it made a hell of a difference. no numbness, fixed the seat position so i had little back pain. 57 miles was no problem other than the obvious exhaustion. thanks for the recommendations!

·
...?
1,481 Posts
i ride a 48-16 fixed in chicago, and its a comfortable ride. all the 'hills' are tiny so theres no need for gears.

and +1 for the lock up tips. I have several friends who have had bikes stolen, or sometimes just a wheel, or seat. If im with friends we always lock bikes together around a pole or something. we had a mess of 5 bikes and about 8 locks one time. pain in the ass to get back unlocked though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.