Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Probably the best thing they have written in years.

And it's true....carbon clinchers all come down to vanity. Looking cool.

And head over to the Chinese Wheel thread....
In a world of $2500 carbon wheels...there's guys who are crying because they dropped $500 on wheels that aren't that great?
They bought a Hugo.....and thought it would be the same as a Ferrari.
All in the name of vanity.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Having spent time on both Easton and Reynolds full carbon rim clinchers, happy to be back on aluminum, non aero wheels.

Being a sub 20 MPH avg. rider that spent a few thousand dollars on aero carbon wheels, I'll vouch for the effectiveness of the carbon clincher manufacturer's marketing departments.

Thanks for the link, Mike.

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
Yawn. Flame piece.

"On top of this, carbon brake tracks are universally awful when put up against a good, machined aluminum track. They have improved dramatically, but still aren’t quite there. In the wet, even the best require a full wheel rotation, allowing the pads to wipe the water off, before any real power can be applied."

How is it any different with carbon tubulars? It isn't. The best rims on the market have excellent braking when combined with the recommended pads.

I agree that the lower profile CC wheels have little advantage over the better alloy counterparts.

Basically an article that has some truth to it and uses that to bait the reader into believing the rest of the fluff in it.

I hate writing like that.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
How is it any different with carbon tubulars?
Both suffer from the same wiping issue, thermally the CT (if designed correctly) will be able to take a higher load than the CC due to laws of thermodynamics.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Yawn. Flame piece.

"On top of this, carbon brake tracks are universally awful when put up against a good, machined aluminum track. They have improved dramatically, but still aren’t quite there. In the wet, even the best require a full wheel rotation, allowing the pads to wipe the water off, before any real power can be applied."

How is it any different with carbon tubulars? It isn't. The best rims on the market have excellent braking when combined with the recommended pads.

I agree that the lower profile CC wheels have little advantage over the better alloy counterparts.

Basically an article that has some truth to it and uses that to bait the reader into believing the rest of the fluff in it.

I hate writing like that.
what is Mavic releasing?
+1. Kind of reads like a Mavic promo. Not saying I disagree with some of the points in the article but spreading FUD and then saying Mavic has corrected some of it without informing the reading is lame imho.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Could be a carbon wrapped alloy similar to what Madfiber is doing.
If were doing it, I'd do something similar to Madfiber but I would not wrap the CF around over the breaking surface. Use CF purely for the aero "plug" and to add some stiffness to the rim.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
An attribute of the deep carbons that the article did not focus on is rigidity. Another point that I personally find short of misleading is mixing up the traits of a recreational riding type rim (aka clincher) with the high performance results more suitable to a pro level rider (ie highly technical, high speed looooong descend). My assumption here is that the rec rider shelling $2k+ for carbon wheels knows better than riding on the brakes the whole way down the mountain.

I am using Enve 45 clinchers and have not even come close to experience the heat build up results the article is talking about. My riding is now recreational, 40-50 mile club rides with 6000-7000 ft climbing. I did buy them to experience what the carbon wheel had to offer, same as I bought my carbon frame bike although now I am back on my Ti.

The marketing of the carbon clincher has been noteworthy and followed right behind the carbon frames, carbon forks, carbon stems, carbon handlebars, carbon cranks, carbon spokes,........carbon everything. The carbon rims do look the business on mostly any bike and vanity has a lot to do with getting them, whether or not most resist admitting it. After all, you dont buy a Rolex just to tell the time.

My opinion on the mater is that if you are looking for value, look elsewhwere. If you are in a race or TT environment and few secs will make the difference, the deeper and really deep rims do give an edge.

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
If were doing it, I'd do something similar to Madfiber but I would not wrap the CF around over the breaking surface. Use CF purely for the aero "plug" and to add some stiffness to the rim.
It's called Cosmic Carbone ;)

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
For this kind of a price tag I cant find one reason not to prefer the Enve with my choice of hubs and lacing.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.