Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
abominable slowman
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent a week up in the Northern portion of Michigan's lower peninsula. My wife's aunt and uncle hosted us (me, my wife, and her parents) at their lake house, so it was a bit of a family vacation but we got to do plenty of riding. The house is on Douglas Lake.

We packed up on cross bikes and took 'em on the plane (without incident). I was pleasantly suprised with how nice this area is--lots of nice roads, lakes, little towns. Great for exploring by bike. We had some cloudy weather, and often had to carry rain shells (it was also chilly at time). I just strapped my packable shell to the stem. Easy enough. Anyway, I'll share pictures from three of our rides.

First ride was a 35-ish mile loop to the west and then around back toward the western shore of the lake then on some dirt roads back to the house. Weather was threatening so we cut it a bit short.

·
abominable slowman
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Miching Part II

Our 2nd ride: we rode to Cross Village on the shore of Lake Michigan, had lunch with the family and then headed down the coast to Harbor Springs. Weather threatened again, so I hitched a ride back in the van from there. about 45 miles on the day. Pictures show the ride from Cross Village to Harbor Springs.

·
abominable slowman
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Michigan Part III

On monday I took a longer ride by myself up to Wilderness STate Park and then over to Mackinaw City. Lots of nice roads, lots of nice dirt, and LOTS of hungry bugs. The flowers along some of the trails I rode were amazing, but so were the bugs so I rarely stopped to shoot photos. Oh well.

·
abominable slowman
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Michigan Part IV

I lied...we did five rides, and I'll share pics from 4, not 3 as I had said above. On the 5th ride I left the camera behind. The final ride I'm sharing was very cool. We rode to Cheboygan to catch a new rail trail that goes up to Mackinaw City. The trail was nice, but boring (straight, flat and forested...sorry no pics). Then we caught a ferry over to Mackinac Island, a cute little tourist trap with no cars but plenty of inexperienced bikers and lots of horses. It's beautiful on that island--the waters are reminiscent of the Caribbean (except COLD) and the flowers are plentiful. Add in a historic villange and you got a winner :thumbsup: Then we took the ferry back and rode home via a shorter route, past an abandoned bar and abandoned Caddie!

That's all. It really is quite nice up there. We had some stormy weather, but were able to get out and ride (or boat or hike) everyday but one. And the last few days were just perfect--no clouds, 75 deg, and light wind. I've also been there in winter and it's brutal (but good XC skiing). I highly recommend it.

·
abominable slowman
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
biodiversity

Dave Hickey said:
black flies? They are brutal........

Great report....that area if Michigan is my favorite place in the state.......
black flies, mosquitos, horse flies or deer flies or whatever those big ones are, gnats, and even a fair number of hornets. Needless to say, I was hammering when on the trails--i had to outrun them!

·
Premium Member
20,696 Posts
I don't know if you had the change to feel the water temp of Lake Michigan but it is freezing... at the end of of a particularly hot Port Huron- Mackinac sailboat race one year, I jumped in at the finish....... keep in mind it was July and the air temps were in the 90's...The water was around 60 degrees.... It took my breath away...

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Great shots and somewhat both familiar and different having spent the week on the shore of Lake Superior. Different wildflowers and the not as rugged a shoreline.

Hey Dave....if you want to jump in a Great Lake, come up with me...it was 39 degrees, I lasted less than 20 seconds before fleeing back to the shore.
Scot

·
Stumpcake!
5,950 Posts
You just made my day with your pics!!! I'm originally from MI and would spend about a 4-6 weeks every summer at my grandparents house just outside Harbor Springs. It was really cool to see some familiar shots.

It looks like the pavement there is still as bad as I remember it.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
I HATE biting bugs. They're my biggest nemisis. Nice beach shots and it does look inviting, but I don't want to have to yell "It's shrinkage Jerry, Shrinkage!!!".

·
Registered
28 Posts
great pics...was up in Mackinaw City first week in June...bugs, especially mosquitoes, were mean. Weather wasn't too good either but bearable. I usually go up Labor Day to do the Bridge Walk...they have a separate time for cyclists to go over the bridge that day as well and they gather for the trip across the road (Central Avenue) from where I stay. Thanks for the pics.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.