Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I work with this young guy (early 20's) who just got his cat 5 license. He's totally gung-ho and trains like crazy. He's piling on the miles, doing long 80-90 mile rides and attacks the hills. I told him to be careful not to overtrain but he (predictably) brushed my advice aside. Here in new England the big races are in June and July. My guess is he'll be a burnt-out shell by May. What do you think?

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
It depends

Blue Sugar said:
I work with this young guy (early 20's) who just got his cat 5 license. He's totally gung-ho and trains like crazy. He's piling on the miles, doing long 80-90 mile rides and attacks the hills. I told him to be careful not to overtrain but he (predictably) brushed my concerns aside. Here in new England the big races are in June and July. My guess is he'll be a burnt-out shell by May. What do you think?
It certainly is possible, but since you give virtually no details about his training load, it's hard to say. Plus, the ability to endure a given training load varies widely from person to person.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
If...

Blue Sugar said:
I work with this young guy (early 20's) who just got his cat 5 license. He's totally gung-ho and trains like crazy. He's piling on the miles, doing long 80-90 mile rides and attacks the hills. I told him to be careful not to overtrain but he (predictably) brushed my concerns aside. Here in new England the big races are in June and July. My guess is he'll be a burnt-out shell by May. What do you think?
Not necessarily will he be burned out and such. Just because he's doing hard training now, doesn't mean burnout later, could just mean stronger later. As Kerry said, depends on the person really. Some would get burned out, some will just ride more.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think his mind will burn out before his body does. I've known guys like hin, and in my experience they always burn out in late spring or early summer.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
thats why he is a cat 5
unless you hit that wall you'll never know how much you can push yourself.

overtraining is very common. I hit my wall late summer. CX racing didn't happen because of it. Learning to rest is hard but you've got to learn the hard way.

·
RoadBikeReview Addict
673 Posts
Blue Sugar said:
True that ya' never know. Nonetheless, I wish him well. I personally believe enthusiasm, passion, and desire go a long way, but you're right - time will tell. Where in New England? What club/team?

·
classiquesklassieker
3,106 Posts
Blue Sugar said:
I'd be more worried about his ego surviving contact with its first defeat. Or its first race. Sometimes they come at the same time.

·
Registered
252 Posts
If I tell you I have 20 days of threshold training in 2 months, you may think I will burn out. The real question is that is he riding below LT or at what power zone. As long as you are riding below your LT, you can do more than 3 days of threshold work and be able to recover in 1 day or 2. Without knowing how hard he has been riding, there is no way you can tell if he will burn out. Also, you can peak twice in a season. Is no big deal going hard now anyway as long as you will spend a month or more riding at tempo or lower threshold work.

Blue Sugar said:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Take this for what its worth, because cycling is different than running, but when I used to run track , I would peak 3 times a year....once in the fall for xc, once for early march for indoor nationals and then once for june...Generally after my "peak" races, I would take a week off with only light 2-3 miles jogs, and then start right up with bases miles and interval workouts the next week...After June though I would generally hang up the shoes for about 4 weeks and play soccer or something...It is entirely possible to get burnt out and then recover in one season, you just have to know when to take a rest, because if you try to train through the point of getting burnt out, you willl begin to get mad at yourself and your training...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts