Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nice ride today. I'd guess there were about 100 people on the ride. I did the 70 mi. route. Great roads on a route that I don't usually travel. At about the 25 mile mark, I had a flat. Oh well. Nothing to do but change it. I put a new tube in, used the CO2 - everything was good. As I was putting the wheel back in the dropouts - BLAM! - :eek: Since I only had one spare. I put the original tube back on after looking at it & finding nothing. Used another CO2 cartridge & I was on my way. About 200 yards later it was flat again. It was a faulty valve. After about 20-30 minutes a small group of riders came by. One guy had a tube with a long valve & I gave him $5 for it. By now all my CO2 had been used up. Luckily I had my mini pump. It took a long time, but I finally got it inflated. Finally happy, I set out (dead last - nobody else in sight) to rode into the sunset. About 5 miles later the front goes flat. Well DAMN! I take it off, get my patch kit out. The hole was near the top of the tube right next to the stem. How did that happen? I haven't a clue. so now I'm out in the boonies with an unrideable bike. OMG! OK. I get the cell phone out & dial home hoping my wife is home, so she can come to pick me up. Guess what???? I'm in a dead zone = no phone service. I walked to the nearest house (maybe a little less that 1/2 mile). The nice lady there let me use her phone, for which I thanked her profusely. Wife picked me up, and everybody is living happily ever after.

Question...How many back up systems for your back up systems for your back up systems do ya have to have??? Answer... Obviously more than I had. :cryin:

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
When I'm out by myself, I carry three tubes and three CO2 carts in my jersey pockets.

·
Coffee Lover
297 Posts
My wife had 4 flats in one ride a little over a month ago. She used her spare and my spare, and then we started patching tubes. We were lucky that it had rained recently. I had plenty of puddles to put the tubes into to find the leak. Flats are a drag. The feeling of being stranded is the worst.

Maybe your question was rhetorical, but to answer your question - 1 tube, 1 patch kit, 4 CO2 carts. My wife carries 1 tube, 1 patch kit, and a frame pump. I also carry a presta/schrader adapter in case I have to get air from a motorist with an electric pump.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
5,051 Posts
A patch kit, 2 levers (yes I need 2 unlike you acrobats who can do with one), and a cell phone. I stopped carrying tubes about 5 years ago once cell phone coverage extended to most of my regular routes.

·
Registered
109 Posts
not so many flats anymore

I carry 3 tubes and 3 CO2's. More important I finally put tire/tube liners in both my bikes. The extra weight is nothing compared to my own weeknesses and I almost never get flats. Most flats in one ride was three, then I was out of tubes so who knows how many more I could have gooten that day.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
That is a stroke of bad luck if I've ever heard one.

Even on my long rides I only bring one tube, I'm just jinxing myself now...

·
waterproof*
41,745 Posts
Every once in a while we all have one of those doomed rides. I've convinced myself that it's karma and if I pay attention, I can abort the ride early before the inevitable spiral into the phone call for home.

But... I had one of those just a few weeks ago... it's easy to say "hey I came out for a ride and By God I'm gonna finish"

To answer the Q - frame pump, 1 or 2 tubes, patch kit.

·
Registered
252 Posts
one tube two CO2 cartridges and one cell phone.

I don't do patches. You can never trust them at 120psi.

Once had my seat collar break on a ride. And one of the women in the ride had a spare one she loaned me till I could buy a new one. I mean who carries a spare seat collar?!

·
papa sboak
1,022 Posts
2 tubes, a patch kit (multiple patches), 4 CO2s

on rides with a crowd, the above plus:
CO2 dispenser that uses non-threaded cartridges
6 CO2 non-threaded
4 extra tubes

lotta newbies, it really doesn't take that long to help a newbie out with a stuck chain or a flat. one ride, we were able to swap out tubes and send them on their merry way in less than 3 minutes per stop (2 people fixing)

·
Registered
175 Posts
1 tube, patch kit, minipump. Sometimes not enough:

Here's me in action changing a tube, but unaware that a stone made a serious cut through the side of the clincher, blowing my spare while inflating.. So basically, I should have brought an extra clincher. (descending the Passo dell'Umbrail, not the best place for a blown tire)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Lately, I've been getting all my flats in my garage after pumping the tube to 120psi. I figured out that when you pull the pump off the valve, you need to hang on to the little nut or you risk ripping the valve out of the tube. Took me three tubes to figure that out.

To answer the question:
1 spare tube,
2 CO2,
2 tire levers,
1 set of allen wrenches (an old habit from MTBing)

I'm going to add a patch kit after reading this thread.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.