Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're talking mid 80's I believe.

First look at these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Campagnolo-C-Re...220384922QQcategoryZ36140QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

In the description:
Beautiful mid 80s Campy C-record friction units with one way clutch to remove friction when going to larger cogs.

My question is was there ever the same body style shift levers but without "the one way clutch to remove friction when going to larger cogs"?

I want beauty and simplicity in the same package (like women).

If the answer is no (referring to the shifters) then does anyone have experience with this one way clutch?

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
Friction_Shifter said:
Then you want old-school Record DT shifters, not these new-fangled bits o' fugliness.

Oh, and by the way, good luck with that pipe dream about women. Simplicity and two X chromosomes are mutually exclusive.

Yours,

FBB

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do the old school record downshifters look extremely similar (extremely extremely) to the Victory shifters (completely flat with script Campagnolo engraving on top side of shifter). Yeah those are quite sexy. I'm considering the Victory's (those old school records are hard to find). There wouldn't be jack squat of a diffnce in performance (or looks for that matter) of the old school records or victories would there?

Thanks (and don't forget, without friction there would be no such thing as an orgasm)

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
Friction_Shifter said:
do the old school record downshifters look extremely similar (extremely extremely) to the Victory shifters (completely flat with script Campagnolo engraving on top side of shifter).
Heck no! See attached photo. THOSE are sexy Campy shifters.

Friction_Shifter said:
Thanks (and don't forget, without friction there would be no such thing as an orgasm)
Back in engineering school, friction and gravity were the big enemies in all the problem sets, but it'd be tough to get anywhere or do anything earth-bound without them!

- FBB

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,404 Posts
Hey !, those clamp on shifters don't have the little dealies to tighten them up, when you begin to climb. Did you loose them, and replace then with nuts?
I still have a set of braze ons. I put one of them on the key ring that I keep all my Thule keys.

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
Hey !, those clamp on shifters don't have the little dealies to tighten them up, when you begin to climb. Did you loose them, and replace then with nuts?
I still have a set of braze ons. I put one of them on the key ring that I keep all my Thule keys.
Actually, I just pulled the photo off someone's eBay auction. - FBB

G

·
Friction_Shifter said:
We're talking mid 80's I believe.

First look at these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Campagnolo-C-Re...220384922QQcategoryZ36140QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

In the description:
Beautiful mid 80s Campy C-record friction units with one way clutch to remove friction when going to larger cogs.

My question is was there ever the same body style shift levers but without "the one way clutch to remove friction when going to larger cogs"?

If the answer is no (referring to the shifters) then does anyone have experience with this one way clutch?

I don't know what the seller is talking about. I have C-Record DT shifters on a bike and there is no "clutch" on them.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The top picture is Victory (mid-eighties). The bottom picture (or right picture not sure where its gonna end up) is supposedly Record (not C-record). Can someone confirm what this 2nd picture is and the the approximate year. Thanks. I like both of these better than the "retrofriction model" I first posted. They are pretty sexy if you ask me.

G

·
I do not think the lower picture is Record. Record is, by my memory of what is in my garage, more angular (?) , by this I mean I mean that the Record shifters are not rounded over the top but angled like the ebay picture.

Having said that, what does it matter? Unless you are especially trying to build an all C-Record bike. The beauty of the DT shifters is that any of them will work. So a Victory, Athena, Triomphe, Record, etc - any of these shift levers will work just fine.

The important thing is that it says Campagnolo.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
my super record shifters are black and

panto'd eddy mercks on one side. mmmmm sexy

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I researched further and called Campy service in Carlsbad. Ended up speaking to a gentleman who was very knowledgeable in the mid-late eighties stuff. He said there was a friction only (NOT retrofriction) downtubes put out by campy in their Croce and C-record groups (croce less polished). However he said they were EXTREMELY rare (everyone and their mom wanted retrofriction)and that the only downtube shifters he had ever seen that were friction were the ones on his 86 Italian frame (don't recall brand of frame). Below I have shown pictures of the Croce (friction) and the Crecord (retrofriction). The Croce is supposedly friction (these are on ebay) that's what the seller responded when I asked him but I wouldn't be surprised if they are retrofriction(half the stuff labeled record on ebay isn't record). I would think the Retrofrictions are bulkier at the base but these seem identical. Right now I'm in a bidding war on the Croce and decided I don't want the f'in things. Screw the engraved campy logo!!!! Someone please outbid me....$12.41 to ship a set of downtube shifters?!?!? don't want to give my business to those people...

oh yeah the C-records have the wood background.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
too bad

I had a set of those C-records I let go of for a song

·
Bikespace member
4,445 Posts
hmmm, i think i have a set of those.

just took them off a 3rensho i just got. i'll have to take a look at them closer. i can't tell of they are CdA or C-record (not too familiar with comps from that era), but they are pretty shiney. i'll have to get them when i get home and compare to pics on screen. also have a set of cranks and RD that all look from the same group.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
moschika said:
hmmm, i think i have a set of those.

just took them off a 3rensho i just got. i'll have to take a look at them closer. i can't tell of they are CdA or C-record (not too familiar with comps from that era), but they are pretty shiney. i'll have to get them when i get home and compare to pics on screen. also have a set of cranks and RD that all look from the same group.
The Croce and CRecord look the same other than the CRecords are Shinnier...
Both came in Retrofriction (more common)and Friction(very rare). I want friction but will take retrofriction. If you want some spare change, don't want the levers, and I don't win the auction on the CdA's pm me....

G

·
Friction_Shifter said:
The Croce and CRecord look the same other than the CRecords are Shinnier...
Both came in Retrofriction (more common)and Friction(very rare). I want friction but will take retrofriction. If you want some spare change, don't want the levers, and I don't win the auction on the CdA's pm me....

My friction c-Records could probably use some polishing. I would like to do a full restore on that bike, repaint, polishing, etc so may be done this year some time.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've used both Simichrome (made in Germany) metal polish and Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish (auto stores). Both work great for polishing aluminum. Shine away...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts