Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could of course, RTFM - though I did and the FM didn't say anything about it, and I could "SEARCH" but that would be too logical.

I am going to assume that the chain lube for my motorcycle will not be appropriate for my bike? I base this on the assumption that any new acquisition automatically makes all previous acquisitions' accessories incompatible.

What is the suggested lubing process then? I am sure WD-40 is too "Fred". And it appears, though I haven't scrutinized...that my chain is an O-ring? Do bikes have O-ring chains?

I need some nanotubed BuckieBall C/F unobtainium lube created in the International Space Station in zero-gravity and must be kept at a constant 60 degrees, +/- .05 degrees Celsius or it turns into mayonnaise?

I gather lubing the chain also lubes the sprockets? How is the old lube removed? WD-40? Kerosene? Too Fred? I need some nanotubed BickieBall C/F unobtanium remover?

Thanks!!

Don

·
Registered
11,216 Posts
the best tool for chain maint is an old t-shirt. wipe it down, re-lube, go ride.

there's umpteen zillion bike chain lubes...Tri-Flow, Pedro's, etc etc etc...try a few, see which one you like.

sure someone will chime in about home-brewed DIY lube...whatevs. I can afford to just buy some.

there's a thread going about chain cleaning devices that use a solvent bath...they create a mess. avoid.

this stuff is easy, don't make it hard.

·
I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
You shouldn't use WD40 because it isn't a lube. It's a water displacer hence the name.

Go to any cycling store and buy some dry chain lube. One drop per roller. Wipe away excess. You don't need a lot and your chain should be pretty dry afterwards.

It's not rocket science.

I prefer Prolink Gold chain lube.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
Do a search on the term "homebrew". You'll find some enlightening, entertaining and sometimes ridiculously opinionated discussions.

I use homebrew, BTW. 3:1 OMS:auto motor oil

WD-40 is too a lube. So there. (Maybe not a good one for this use, though.)

·
turtle killer.
1,854 Posts
There's really very little oil in WD-40 compared to solvents... so it will flash off leaving really little to no protection.

·
Premium Member
5,480 Posts
WD-40 is a lube, just a (very) light duty lubricant.

I wouldn't use it on chains though.

Cleaning chains? Spray some chain cleaner, scrub with tool (or toothbrush), & then rinse. Then apply some fresh bike chain lube. You don't have to clean it every time though

there are videos on youtube on how to clean chains

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ahh.. so basically you use a dry-type lube on chains. got it, thx.

The motorcycle fora get on WD-40 riffs with the pros and cons weighing forth on their respective positions regarding whether that is usable as a MC chain lube. Guess wheeled discussions are not so different regardless what is used to make the wheels go 'round.

·
W'buV Peddler...
142 Posts
Like was said before, I use an old T-shirt and some chain cleaner/lube spray and go to town. It looks okay...I ofton wondered about the motorcycle chain lub myself. I have so many different lubes on the back on my workbench.

·
9,925 Posts
kerob said:
I have so many different lubes on the back on my workbench.
That sounds like k0dE to me....

·
W'buV Peddler...
142 Posts
I have bike chain lube, motorcycle lube, WD-40, hydraulic oil(from work, aircraft grade works good) motorcycle chain lube, bike chain cleaner, motorcycle chain degreaser and cleaner. most are small bottles that i bought looking for the one I liked the best. Probably need to be thrown away.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Oxtox said:
this stuff is easy, don't make it hard.
Yes, please... As you can see, you've found one of the "Ford vs Chevy" arguments in cycling.

As long as it doesn't get wet, about every 2-300 miles I wipe the chain down, apply one drop of Prolink Gold per link and then wipe again. Best to do it the night before, then a quick wipe in the morning before a ride. No problems here...

Tip: How do you know when you've put a drop on the entire chain? Use a master link (quick release) because it looks different. :) Start there and end there and no guessing involved.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
When I clean my bikes I always start with the running gear. I do the chain 1st. I take a rag wet with WD40 or odorless mineral spirits, and wipe the chain down while rotating the cranks. When it's pretty clean I use "home brew" mixed 3 parts odorless min. spirits to 1 part oil. What kind of oil? Pretty much whatever I happen to have on hand. We're not lubing parts on the space shuttle y'know. Motor oil 5W-20 usually, because that's what my car takes. Using an old catsup squeeze bottle, I drizzle it on the chain, aiming for the middle where the rollers are. I apply it pretty heavily. The OMS will dissolve and float the dirt off the chain, then evaporate and leave the oil as a lubricant. Then, while that's drying I'll do the cassette, chain rings and derailleurs. I clean them using the odorless mineral spirits (OMS) without oil. Park's cog cleaning brush is good for doing the cassette. For the chain rings, I just use a rag with OMS sprayed on it and wipe them down while I'm turning the cranks. I do the same to the rear derailleur pulleys and any other parts of the derailleurs or brakes that are grungy. Park's brush is useful here too.

By now the chain is dry enough to wipe down although I like to leave it overnight. I turn the cranks slowly with one hand while the chain runs through a clean rag held by my other hand. I keep turning the cranks, and the rag until no more black residue comes off on the rag.

I clean all the drive train once every 200 - 300 miles, and immediately after every rain ride.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.