Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was down at the other side of the bldg where I interviewed recently for a different position (same job but less work and plenty more $$$). Turns out they hired the guy who was filling in temporarily- he's really cool and grateful for the job, would've been unemployed otherwise, so I didn't take it personally. Sucks for me but I'm glad for him. :thumbsup:

Anyway, the director of the dep't said that he just wanted to let me know, had it not been for the other guy, I would've "had the job hands down." He then complimented me for my professionalism, being so well-organized and "clearly an intelligent person," and conducting such a polished interview. :cool:

Meanwhile, yesterday was the day I had to switch with somebody in another department, a ridiculous waste of time under the guise of "learning from each other" and "improving customer service." All I learned was that nobody would actually trade jobs with anybody in our department for anything, and that they have a lot more fun down there. So I learned that I'm missing out in yet ANOTHER dep't. But the boss down there says I scored some brownie points.

So yeah, "about effin' time" I got some recognition, even if it had to come from other directors who spent less than a day with me (the interview was less than 15 minutes.)

Just had to take a minute to post about that. Back to the grind.

·
Ya, ya I know....
33 Posts
Sounds good and bad.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
I've found that when one door doesn't open a better one comes down the line. At least you're getting known. Those few minutes can really help at times.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
p.s. do you like track bikes? do you like to buy Cinelli bikes for people you know from the internet? pls PM if so...

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ha, exactly! It does feel nice. We're often criticized and loaded with work up here, rarely get compliments.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
you are making other employees look bad. that isn't very nice.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Creakyknees said:
p.s. do you like track bikes? do you like to buy Cinelli bikes for people you know from the internet? pls PM if so...
Call Eric Clapton.

//I did some work as a photographer for awhile, and one of the things the marketing gurus say is to market *you* as a brand name. Even when working for someone else (which I still do, unrelated), this makes a lot of sense to me. Seems like you did a great job of that yesterday and it could pay off pretty well.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
It's not often enough that people get a little pat on the back. It helps everyone in the long run, we're still emotional beings that like to have a little recognition. I'm lucky to work in a group that is pretty supportive but I've worked in the past where nobody gave a damn and it wasn't much fun.

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
Like puppet boy said, good and bad.

Maybe keep in touch with that department quarterly? That way they'll know you're still interested. And like you and others said, since you interviewed well, the best job evar might be just around the corner. Yay!

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I mentioned to the guy that the head of the entire organization had suggested that anybody in our field should check out how things are done in that office, as a great example how things should be done elsewhere. Said that I had wanted to do that instead of switching for the whole day with the other, totally unrelated department.

Hmmm, now all I have to do is remove the brakes from the new guy's car...... :idea: hmmmmm........ :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.