Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what the general consensus is on tire choice for heavier riders...Is a 23 tire best or a 25? I'm running 23's with 105 psi, weigh about 195, and ride hard/occasionally race. Not very concerned with ride quality or tire weight but it's almost time for a new rear tire and I thought I'd get some opinions from other Clydes.

Thanks.
Lou.

· Rollin' Stones
2,641 Posts
good question

I'd say if you are comfortable with 23, than stay with it. A 25 might ride a bit smoother depending on pressure. It's on e of those whatever works for you situations. I rode 25's for a couple of years before finding some 23 's on sale and jumped. I can't tell the diff. The only piece of info that's helpful is keep the tire inflated well. If it's a bit low, that will lead to faster wear on the tread surface. Best o' luck!

· SoCal--S Beach to the Dam
1,032 Posts
upstateSC-rider said:
Just wondering what the general consensus is on tire choice for heavier riders...Is a 23 tire best or a 25? I'm running 23's with 105 psi, weigh about 195, and ride hard/occasionally race. Not very concerned with ride quality or tire weight but it's almost time for a new rear tire and I thought I'd get some opinions from other Clydes.

Thanks.
Lou.
25's if your roads are really bad but 23's are what you'll find most on. I'm 205 and run 100-105 in rear and 95 in front so your fine. Some use a 23 in front and a 25 in rear.

· Registered
376 Posts
I prefer 23s, but not all are the same...

First off, I am 6'5", 240lbs...

I typically ride Vittoria Open Corsa's, which I have found to be about the same size as some other 25s (especially Vredestein). I have ridden Michelin and Vredestein 25s, but never liked the ride even after playing around with tire pressure. Must be a personal thing, as others love them. I just find that the Vittoria's have a great feel and ride, and I typically ride them at 125lbs pressure. The big knock on these is they don't last. True, but having tried a lot of other tires I keep coming back. I just scour eBay for deals.

· Registered
21,834 Posts
Simple test

upstateSC-rider said:
If you're not getting pinch flats at these pressures with the 23s, then there's not much reason to go wider. A wider tire and/or lower pressure would give a more comfortable ride, but your pressures are in the sweet spot already, so you're OK.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.