Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hate myself!

I just saw the Lemond Fillmore . . . It is my understanding that the frame on the lemond Fillmore, OX TRUE TEMPER PLATINUM, is top notch, one of the best steels around . . . should i go this route instead?

· "It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
Krafcik said:
I'm about to pull the trigger on the San Jose . . . any last minute suggestions or other bikes I should consider?
The Samurai code says that you should make decisions in the space of three breaths. Which is to say, "Stop thinking. Start riding (that spanky new San Jose)."

Have Fun,

- FBB

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wish I could but . . .

fbagatelleblack said:
The Samurai code says that you should make decisions in the space of three breaths. Which is to say, "Stop thinking. Start riding (that spanky new San Jose)."

Have Fun,

- FBB

I want this to last a long time, if the fillmore is a better bike . . . shouldn't I???

· "It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
Krafcik said:
I want this to last a long time, if the fillmore is a better bike . . . shouldn't I???
In that case, refer to the phrase "Getting there is half the fun."

Keep shopping until you are tired of shopping. Then buy the bike that moves your soul most effectively. You won't go wrong with any of the bikes you mention. I don't think there is such a thing as a "better bike" in this case. I'd be inclined to say that one of the bikes might meet your performance and/or financial needs better than the others, but you can probably judge those criteria for yourself better than I could. I like the San Jose, mostly because I read a cool interview between Grant Peterson and the woman who designed the bike for Bianchi (see the most recent Rivendell Reader for the article).

BTW, if money is no object, this is a very cool bike:

http://www.rivbike.com/html/bikes_quickbeam.html

but you probably knew that already.

Have fun,

FBB

· Registered
530 Posts
Buy the san jose.

Better steel available? Yes. But how does this apply to commuting and grocery-getting?

You'll be supporting a nice trend: the affordable, functional single-speed. Real world geometry and clearance for real people. And it's a nice color.

· Registered
269 Posts
Filmore is Twice the Price

It looks like the Filmore is a better frame with better parts spec. That said, it's almost twice the price of the San Jose. You gotta go with what floats your boat - I bought a San Jose because it was a such a great deal on a built SS 'cross bike - I wasn't even in the market for another bike when I bought it. In addition to handling the commute and grocery chores, it's great for riding on or off the road with my kids.

· Registered
7 Posts
Other than being a single speed, the fillmore is quite a bit different than the san jose. If you want the OX of the fillmore, also check out the gunnar streetdog. I'm not sure why you would want to go that route to get groceries though. I'd rather do that task with a nice rack and set of panniers - something you can actually mount on the san jose.

· "It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
fastfullback said:
Buy the san jose.

Better steel available? Yes. But how does this apply to commuting and grocery-getting?

You'll be supporting a nice trend: the affordable, functional single-speed. Real world geometry and clearance for real people. And it's a nice color.
Amen!

Also, the pain you feel if the bike gets ripped off, dropped, doored, etc. might be roughly proportional to the price you paid for it. Real world bikes need to meet real world criteria, which generally have very little to do with race bike criteria.

- FBB

· Registered
11,555 Posts
Real world bikes need to meet real world criteria, which generally have very little to do with race bike criteria.
Amen. Each San Jose or similar bike bought is a vote for cycling sanity. Almost every day on RBR there's a new post describing the pain of having bought a racing bike for all the wrong reasons.

· Registered
444 Posts
Krafcik said:
I'm about to pull the trigger on the San Jose . . . any last minute suggestions or other bikes I should consider?
get it and ROCK. the only other one to consider is the bianchi castro valley. in my mind the best commuter stock bike available. 1x9 speed, fenders and a hub generator light STOCK. it rocks like bon jovi's epileptic long lost twin on bad acid.

or get the san jose and consider upgrading some day to the san jos8...

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/bianchi-sanjos8/index.html

sounds like you dont have enough experience to tell the difference between any of those bikes, so just get one and ride. i think the deal maker is that it's in stock at a bike shop with a good attitude and service.

· "It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
fastfullback said:
Better steel available? Yes.
BTW: Some might say that 1018 "High Tensile" steel (aka "gaspipe") is far superior to ultra-light, heat-treated, alloy steel given the criteria for a grocery getter, for the following reasons:

1. Thicker walled tubing is less likely to get "dinged" when the bike falls over.

2. Increased ductility of the mild steel makes it less brittle so it is more likely to bend instead of cracking. Most of the "supersteels" are stronger, but more brittle, so if they fail, the failure is more likely to be catastrophic.

3. Heavier steel will give rider a (mildly) better workout during the relatively short periods of time he/she is on the bike. The better workout will increase the health benefits derived from cycling.

4. Thieves could be less likely to steel an inexpensive bike.

5. Etc.

The old-fashion cro-moly frame on the San Jose will only be slightly worse than the 1018 when judged by these criteria. Supersteels pale in comparison to eith 1018 or standard 4130, when these criteria are applied.

Yours,

- FBB

· "It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
velodev said:
I'm not an expert but what about the new Giant Bowery for a commuter/grocery-getter?
Looks like the Giant is basically a track bike - the picture I saw had no brakes or eyelets. The San Jose is set up with cantilever brakes, lots of eyelets and braze-ons, road bike geometry (vs. track geometry), etc. The San Jose is designed from the ground up as a bike for the roads, specifically for getting around town with groceries, etc. if necessary.

The Giant looks like it is designed for the track, but it looks like a screamin' deal if that is what you are looking for. You could probably make a great town bike out of it, but I'd be inclined to stick with the Bianchi if that's what you wanted to do.

Can someone who knows more about the Giant check my guesswork on it? Thanks.

- FBB

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.