Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at some clipless pedals for a specialized roubaix. I have been looking at several sites and reviews and it sounds like the Time Iclic pedals are a pretty solid set. Found some on ebay: Time ICLIC Fiberflex Clipless Road Pedals New Black | eBay

Question is this: What is the size indicative of? Does that mean the pedals are made for a size 9 shoe? Because I am pretty sure i'll be wearing an 8.

Also, are the shoes pretty univeral to all pedals with the 3 holes? I googled this and I saw some companies make shoes w/ 2 holes while some make with 4 but 90% of all shoes are 3.

·
Registered
23,033 Posts
Question is this: What is the size indicative of? Does that mean the pedals are made for a size 9 shoe? Because I am pretty sure i'll be wearing an 8.
Look at the ad closer.
size: 9/16"
It's the thread size.

Also, are the shoes pretty univeral to all pedals with the 3 holes? I googled this and I saw some companies make shoes w/ 2 holes while some make with 4 but 90% of all shoes are 3.
All road shoes I believe are 3 hole. Some MTB shoes are 2 or 3 hole.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,299 Posts
Maybe somebody will correct me, but as far as I know the thread size for pedals is universal. Any remotely modern pedal will screw into any remotely modern crank arm.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Because the pedals they replaced had something called "toe clips" -- metal or plastic brackets which hold open a strap that holds the foot on the pedal. The attachment systems that don't use a toe clip were therefore called "clipless." And you're right; it seems confusing, but history is like that.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I think strapless would have made more sense lol
I believe that term was already taken
View attachment 281691
Pedals were always referred to as having (or not having) "toeclips." The strap was sort of implied. Ain't language funny?

If we want to really go off on odd cycling nomenclature, let's start talking tire sizes, and wondering what the the hell "700c" is. 700 what?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.