Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much internet searching and talking to the guys at the lbs, I think I finally have my new wheels picked out. I am planning on going for DT swiss 240s hubs laced to DT R1.1 rims with aerolite spokes 2x front and 3x rear. These will be replacing a set of Bontrager race wheels so I plan to loose nearly a pound (1860g to approx 1440g) I am 155-160 lbs and use my road bike mostly for 1 to 1.5 hour training rides (I primarily train for mtb racing) but plan to enter a couple of crits this year to test the road bike racing waters. Can anyone convince me to go with something else or should I just go ahead and order the parts?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
yz_387 said:
Can anyone convince me to go with something else or should I just go ahead and order the parts?
Why Aerolites? At something like $1.80 a piece, they don't seem like a smart choice to me unless you're going for a full-aero wheelset. And there's no real sense in doing that for 1-1.5 hours training rides or for crits. Your other choices seem pretty good - though I'd consider tried and true, completely rebuildable, light enough, good-skewered Record or Dura Ace hubs - but I'd opt for at least Revos, maybe even just 14/15s. I don't think Revos weigh more than Aerolites, so you wouldn't be gaining a considerable amount of weight, and you don't need to worry about weight for the kind of riding you're doing. Good luck! S.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. I am pretty set on the hubs. I already own two sets of MTB wheels that I built up with 240s and love them. I am more unsure about the rims and spokes. I was sort of planing on using revos (there is only a couple of grams of difference between them and the aerolites) but after finding a smoking deal on the aerolites I thought maybe I would just go for them. Decisions, decisions.......

P.S. I always worry about weight. I am a truely ill weight weenie. ;)

·
RoadBikeReview Addict
673 Posts
Assuming 28h front and 32h rear? I'm waiting for that same front wheel, only w/Revos, to be built by my LBS. I was curious about the Aerolites but heard they weren't available in silver. Is that true?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Sound nice

The wheelset sounds nice, like before I dont know that paying for the Aerolites is going to make the wheels that much better, especially on shorter rides, but hell if you got the money then do it right, I would proably go revos all the way around with 14/15DB's on the drive in the rear, they would still be way light and less $$ overall. But either way they will be sweet wheels

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
flying said:
Both Mike Garcia Link
& Ligero wheels Link can build sets using those hubs that will weigh less & cost less ;)
Unless you were building yourself?
I will build them myself. So what would you recommend to make them weigh less? I am assuming different rims. Which ones? I am open to suggestions, particularly on the rims and spokes/lace patterns.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
yz_387 said:
I will build them myself. So what would you recommend to make them weigh less? I am assuming different rims. Which ones? I am open to suggestions, particularly on the rims and spokes/lace patterns.
If you don't mind my asking, where and what kind of a deal are you getting on Aerolites? Thanks - S.

ps. I just ordered spokes for my new build, so you don't have to worry about me buying up your supply! :p Also, any rim lighter than the RR1.1 doesn't belong on a training/light racing wheel. Or any wheel, in my opinion...

·
Registered
482 Posts
yz_387 said:
Mike Garcia sells the IRD Cadence rim. Looks very much like the R1.1
but weighs 390 grams.

Ligero has The Alex R400 395-400 grams & the R3.1 at 370 grams.

I wont bother with the comment about rims below a RR1.1 weight not belonging on any wheel. :rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts