Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To begin with I know very little about the different bicycle components. I couldn't change a tire right now if I had to. I have had a Cannondale F600 as my main bike for the last 2 years. I love it but I use it mainly on the road. I have put a mild knobby tire on there with a smooth center for the roads. I am wanting to start taking this back on the trails and am wanting a bike dedicated more for the road. I am a pretty fat guy. I weigh 270 and am 5'10".I am diabetic and biking is the easiest thing for me. I have an approximate budget of $700, maybe a little more or less. I am going to be using the straps on the pedals instead of the clips. I have wide feet and I am having trouble finding clip shoes to fit. I normally wear a New Balance size 10.5 EEEE and my feet are sensitive due to my disease.I have been looking at different bikes, all fall within my price range. My LBS, who has been great to me deals with Cannondale and Raleigh. In fact they are the largest Cannondale dealer in the area and while they may not carry all of the brands listed below, there are other LBS's in the area that do. I live in Northwest Arkansas. I have been looking at 6 different bikes and any advice at all, no matter how minor you think it may be will be appreciated.One thing I should note is that while I am looking for a road type bike, I don't want the drop down handlebars. I find riding a bike like this uncomfortable with my gut. The bikes are:

Giant FCR
Raleigh Route 24 or 66
Cannondale Road Warrior 500
Trek SU 100
Specialized Sirrus
Scott Sportster P3

Thanks for all your help in advance.

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
I only know about the Giant. A friend of ours rides it. She's not a heavyweight, but was afraid of drop bars and the LBS talked her into getting the Giant. It is a fairly solid build from what I can tell. She loves riding it and it has been holding up well. It has V-Brakes on it that seem to stop fairly well and SRAM turn-shift (sorry, don't know the real name) shifters that have been fine on it. We had to make some adjustments during her first ride but since then the bike has done well. She has kept up with us on 40 mile rides and has had no problems other than being a little slower. Bike seems to be a good build.

In your case, I think you are smart looking at a more upright, comfort type bike. I think you will be much happier with it. I wish I had more advice that what I can provide, but unfortunately my knowledge of comfort/flatbar bikes is somewhat limited.

EDIT: This is the one she got http://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/030.000.000/030.000.006.asp?model=11327. Oh oh, I just schilled Giant! Well, it is a good bike and I tried riding it around when I was working on the rear DR, and it seemed fine.

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I agree with Ridgetop. If you want a better bike with better components, you might consider looking for something used.

· Registered
5 Posts
I have an 05 Giant FCR3 and have been riding it for about 3 weeks. 250 miles later I still love it! Fairly lightweight bike and very solid feeling. Shifting is quick and accurate, I did add some aero bars so that I have some different hand positions, the flat bar is nice but it can give you some wrist pain after 15-20 miles. You should be able to find one of these for 550.00$ or less, which would still leave you a hundred bucks or so to by a cateye, bottles/cages, frame pump, saddle bag or whatever other goodies you want. Origionally I was looking at a trek 7.5fx, luckly the dealer could not get one in my size. By getting the giant I saved almost 200 bucks and got a carbon fork and better components. good luck with whatever you get.

· Registered
58 Posts
This might make you go back to your drawing board, but here I go...

You can get flatbar bikes in either 26" or 700c configuration. If I were you, I would consider 26" models which are more like mountain bikes with thinner tires. It seems the 26" models are sturdier. I have five bikes ranging from 27" road, 700c road, rigid MTB, hardtail, and full suspension. The one I enjoy a lot is my rigid MTB converted to a city bike simply swapping out tires. I won't be able to keep up with true roadies with my city bike, but I can easily pedal it to continuous 14-16 mph on flat roads with top speed of 25 mph or so going downhill cranking 48 (largest ring) x 13. The ride is absolutely a blast. I can probably keep up with a "C" group 25 mile ride with this bike.

I've seen Specialized, Cannondale, Scott, and Marin bikes with 26" wheels and flatbars. These seem very sturdy and nice looking, and unlike my converted bike, they are geared for roadway riding (although most of them come with tripple chainrings).

Good luck, and have fun shopping which is as much fun as owning one.

· Registered
10 Posts
shoes

try SIDI's. They make a Mega line that are designed for wider feet, although I'm not sure if they'll be wide enough for you. I'm not exactly sure which ones come in Mega but the Dominators and Genious definitely do. They're a bit pricey, but much more comfy if you've got wide feet.

· Registered
58 Posts
My feet are not as wide as yours, but I still have tough time finding cycling shoes that are made wide enough for my feet. If you don't plan to use clipless pedals, you could just wear any running shoes.

I find tennis shoes too slippery on pedals although they have nice firm soles. Running shoes seem to have the "right" treads for pedals. Shoe laces are hazardous to bike riding as they could get tangled up with chains, but you could tuck them in your shoes.

· Registered
5,358 Posts
I don't have any bike buying advice, but if you're going to ride farther than you are willing to walk, you really need to learn how to change a tube. The Park Tool web site has a good explanation. Practice a few times at home using the tools you'll carry on the bike. When my wife started riding I showed her how to do it and had her practice. Now she's got that skill down and doesn't need to worry about depending on strangers to help.

· Registered
1 Posts
You may also want to take a look at the Marin Alps series. It's a line of flat-bar road bikes on which even the base model comes with a carbon fork and seat stays to help smoothe out the ride.

I have an '05 Lucas Valley and like it a bunch.

You may find you'll want to swap the seat, though. It's pretty tough.

· Registered
1 Posts
Did you ever Think about recumbent bikes

You may want to look into recumbent bikes. They are comfortable to ride and for a big person that's just as comfy as you will get. Most people your size go that type of bike. It has very cofortable seats and your mostly upright. Check this site out www.bentrideronline.com, you will find all kinds of bents there and use one's as well. They have a classified section for the use bents. Good Luck.

· Registered
88 Posts
jc, you described yourself like myself. I too am 5'8" weighing in at a little over 210 lbs and was looking into getting back on the saddle. I used to ride road bikes back in the day but with my newly developed gut, I dont think so. I went to my nearest REI store and found the perfect bike for guys like us. I bought myself the Cannondale "Bad Boy". Had all the things I was looking for. Average gears, good looks and a really nice solid comfortable ride. Price was around $749. Check it out at your local LBS.

Also, it is a bike that can take 26inch wheels if you want it to. It comes with 700c wheels stock. Also, it is ready for disc brakes when you decide you need it. A very versatile bike and above all HAND MADE IN THE USA !!!!!

Good luck.

(Ride them like you stole it !!!)

· Registered
14,776 Posts
Welcom, DarkAce

Your contributions and questions are entirely welcome, but a word about how the forum functions may be in order. You may not have noticed that on the upper left of each post is a date. This thread opened and closed 2 years ago, and the original poster, to whom you are responding, has never reappeared. Someone may benefit from your comments about your bike, but they're more likely to find them if you start your own thread with an informative title.

Once again, welcome.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.