Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Unlabeled
3,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jim Phillips
FOR THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

ATHENS, Ohio — Ohio University police need to brush up on their obscure folk-punk bands.

An OU officer on patrol saw a bike in a busy area of campus early yesterday that sported a sticker reading, This Bike Is A Pipe Bomb.

Buildings were shut down. The Columbus Division of Fire’s bomb squad drove down to investigate. Authorities used a high-powered water spray on the bike, and then pried it apart with a hydraulic device.

Hours later, police learned that the sticker referred to the Pensacola, Fla., band This Bike Is A Pipe Bomb and had nothing to do with the bike’s contents.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Years ago I bought a sticker similar to your avatar that said "Guaranteed Not Built With..." Other than that, it looked like the real thing. I bought it at the Turin Bicycle Cooperative in Chicago. I loved it.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
LMAO. living in fla, i see those all the time. they were a dime a dozen in gainesville. as long as the bike wasn't harmed, that is one happy little punk rocker :)

·
Unlabeled
3,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bike was destroyed, owner charged

ampastoral said:
LMAO. living in fla, i see those all the time. they were a dime a dozen in gainesville. as long as the bike wasn't harmed, that is one happy little punk rocker :)
The Police arrested the owner and charged him with creating a public disturbance. The bike was pried apart.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
wow, i find this utterly disturbing. i guess i see the reason for the reaction, but it is an "over"reaction. the only solace that makes me smile is thinking of the cops sitting around cracking the case. "we've got to track down this terrorist." "contact all printers that make stickers and inquire as to whether they've had any suspicious characters placing orders to announce threats of violence. an while you're at it, check with the silkscreeners and embroiderers." :rolleyes:

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Reynolds531 said:
The Police arrested the owner and charged him with creating a public disturbance. The bike was pried apart.
I bet that was real difficult without the faculty of an opposable thumb. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
362 Posts
That's an interesting bit of trivia for me. There are 3 bikes in my town with that sticker on them (not that I constantly check out every bike on campus), a cannondale, a clunker and an older Fuji. I always just thought it was a funny sticker, now I know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts