Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
19,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I was wanting to use a pair of American Classic Sprint 350's for a race upcoming this weekend but noticed upon installing the rear wheel on the bike and clamping down the QR there is about 1mm of play in the rim...
from what I can gather from American Classic this is "normal"? after speaking with an AC rep on the phone, he states there should be "no play" in the wheel and that the rear bolts need to be tightened....this directly contradicts any/all service manuals I can find out there..

the race will involve some 40-50+mph descents and I need my wheels to be functioning properly....

any thoughts/experiences with this issue?

· Registered
2,673 Posts
1mm of play doesn't sound like much. I suspect the wheels are functioning properly. Here's a more inaccurate way of tightening the rear. On the side with the 2 nuts back both of them loose. wth your bare hand tighten the adjusting nut ( first nut on hub) to where it makes contact with the bearing. To point where you can't turn it with your bare hands. do not tighten beyond this point or you'll get a bearing rumble that will destroy it. I grease my fingers so that i'm unable to tighten it. Instead back off a 1/16" or less from this spot. now hold this adjusting nut position and back the outside nut against the adjusting one to lock it in place. the point is you want the adjusting nut to be set before it makes contact with the bearing. any luck it will have less play than your 1mm. This lack of technical precision built into the hubs usaully drives owners crazy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.