Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Every year Acadia closes the Park Loop Road for the winter. For two weeks each Spring and Fall they encourage users to get out and enjoy the road while it is still gated shut and closed to cars. This means that it can be ridden backwards, ignoring the One Way rule for vehicles which is refreshing after riding it one way the majority of the year. Its the best two weeks of the Spring... a road through the National Park all to myself... a no car Nirvana.

singlecross

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Pics 2

Up Cadillac Mountain for the first time this year...

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pics 3

Up to the summit and ready for the descent... The old alpine ski racer in me enjoyed the descent without cars on the road. Great fun!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pics 4

Through the Park and back down to the Ocean for a rest in the sun... A nice 50 mile ride from my house on a long awaited Spring day in Maine.

singlecross

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
That place is gorgeous. Glad to see spring breaking for you. I bet the descent was a blast.

·
Registered
394 Posts
What a treat to get the roads to yourself for a couple of weeks. I'd be up there riding it every day during that period if I could. The decents must have been a blast. Thanks for sharing.

Scott

·
Registered
191 Posts
What 2 weeks of the year does this happen? Thanks

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Acadia road closures

marckap said:
What 2 weeks of the year does this happen? Thanks
The National Park Service closes the Park Loop Road on Dec 1 and reopens it on April 15. It is unplowed so snow and ice take over for the winter. December can be good riding until it snows and April 1 is when the Park equipment goes out to break up the ice that forms. April 1 - 15 is probably the best time unless you like snow and have studded tires. For reference this is my trip up the mountain on Dec. 9th last year... probably the last day it was possible to ride the unplowed Park roads. So Dec. 1 -9 and April 1-15 this season.

singlecross

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
And exactly why didn't you call and invite me along for this fine ride?!? :(

:D

·
Registered
843 Posts
Niiiice!

I enjoyed both sets of images. That has to be even more beautiful in person, not to mention the joy of riding it sans autos.

Bob

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MB1 said:
And exactly why didn't you call and invite me along for this fine ride?!? :(
:D
MB1,

You know that you and MissM have an open invitation whenever you would like to come North. I'm just a PM away... and am keeping my Butt in shape for the inevitable backside shots just in case you make it up here. :blush2:

singlecross

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
RBR riders welcome anytime...

tarwheel2 said:
I'm heading up that way for a week in September. Hopefully I'll be able to bring my bike and do some riding.
PM me when it gets closer and we can meet up if you wish. If you ride anything close to a 54 cm Top Tube length I have a few bikes you could choose from if you can't swing traveling with yours. A cross bike is nice if you have one to hit the 60 miles of car free gravel roads throughout the Park as well... I have road wheels (Shimano) you could swap in for paved road rides.

On a more ambitious note... I've been toying with the idea of hosting a RBR gathering/event for a week up here if there was interest among the group. I used to put together alpine ski racing camps and could look into providing a package including Lodging,Transportation from the Bangor, Maine airport, Receiving member's shipped bikes, and possibly Meals.

Shoulder season in the Fall would be a good time... less traffic than the Summer crush, fall foliage, more consistent weather than April, more miles in our legs after summer riding season...

Possibly tying into the FREE Cadillac Century in October: http://web.mac.com/zorbathegeek/Cadillac/Home.html

Maybe adding a 100K gravel road ride on all the Carriage roads...

Who knows what else?... there's rock climbing, sea kayak tours, miles of hiking, etc...

Anyway, just an idea at this point unless it gains traction with members here. I don't want to push anything but it could be an option...

singlecross

·
Registered
735 Posts
Nice bike! I was there last summer, and i wish I had my bike on that trip. What do you keep in that huge old school pack on the seat?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
MTT said:
What do you keep in that huge old school pack on the seat?
My repair kit, neoprene gloves, shell jacket, fig newtons, a banana, and my anti-bonk elixir (a can of Coke)... Its made by Acorn bags and I highly recommend them:thumbsup: .

singlecross

·
Registered
735 Posts
singlecross said:
My repair kit, neoprene gloves, shell jacket, fig newtons, a banana, and my anti-bonk elixir (a can of Coke)... Its made by Acorn bags and I highly recommend them:thumbsup: .

singlecross
Being up in Maine I bet you need all of that! The can of Coke is a good idea...........MTT

1 - 20 of 22 Posts