Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at various compact carbon road bars. One of the bars I have been considering is the FSA K-Force carbon compact. I have been told that this particular bar yields two size measurements depending upon where the measurement is taken. For example, I have been told that a size 40cm bar measures 38cm center to center where the shifters would be placed. Can someone confirm this? I have also been told that Easton’s new EC90 SLX3 bar measures about 1 cm short – i.e., a 40cm bar measured center to center is actually about 39cm. Can someone confirm this? Also, for any of you who have these bars, how do you like them. Thanks.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
123prs said:
I have been looking at various compact carbon road bars. One of the bars I have been considering is the FSA K-Force carbon compact. I have been told that this particular bar yields two size measurements depending upon where the measurement is taken. For example, I have been told that a size 40cm bar measures 38cm center to center where the shifters would be placed. Can someone confirm this? I have also been told that Easton’s new EC90 SLX3 bar measures about 1 cm short – i.e., a 40cm bar measured center to center is actually about 39cm. Can someone confirm this? Also, for any of you who have these bars, how do you like them. Thanks.
It's not so much about accuracy as the lack of a standard of measurement.

*I can confirm (just put them on the wife's bike) that FSA's size 40 are 40 at the ends, 38 at the hoods, measured center-center. Likewise, I can confirm that Ritchey's with flare (eg Biomax II) are measured at the hoods rather than the ends. (those are what the FSA replaced.)

I cannot confirm Easton measurements. Some brands measure outside-outside, and I understand Easton to be one of them, but don't have an example in hand.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
123prs said:
Does your wife like her FSA K-Force carbon compact bars?
Loves 'em. Finds the drops much more accessible and useable. Part of that is about the drop, but more is because the ergodynamics are much better. The VR-elliptical-whatever drop shape is much more useful (in her opinion) than 'anatomic' bars, and the flare and back-extension of the drops relative to the tops makes them handy.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
info...

123prs said:
Thanks for the review. I am seriously considering these bars as well as similar bars by Easton (SLX3) and Ritchey (Evoluation SL).
I used the FSA compacts last year, but like the SLX3s a lot better. The 38cm c-c on the brake hoods was too narrow and the flat top of the bar angles up, so it was not comfortable for me. I like a round top bar, although I really seldom use the tops.

Beyond Bikes has the SLX3 for $175.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TThanks C-40 for that bit of advice. I need a 38cm bar, but I’m okay with a 40, which is the smallest bar for most manufacturers. I have long fingers and often ride on the tops. I am looking for a compact (shallow) carbon bar and the three contenders are the Ritchey Evolution SL, which comes in a 38cm and is 38 c-c on both the drops and the tops, the FSA K-Force compact, which measures about 2cm shorter on the tops (e.g., a 40cm bar, which is their smallest size, is 38cm c-c on the tops), and the Easton SLX3, which also comes in a 40 as its smallest size and is 1cm shorter on the tops. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.