Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
40,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at that cute little aspire 1. For anyone that has one, since it had no CD or DVD rom, can I install software from a shared network drive? (like office)

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
I was looking at that cute little aspire 1. For anyone that has one, since it had no CD or DVD rom, can I install software from a shared network drive? (like office)
They still make software on CD?

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,946 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
So long as you can access an *.exe I don't think the media should matter at all--so long as there is no DRM in the equation.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
danl1 said:
They still make software on CD?
Whether they make it or not is not the issue, I have a LOT of valuable and incredibly important (to me and my business) programs that I NEED on any computer I own.

1201......what's a drm?

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,946 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
Whether they make it or not is not the issue, I have a LOT of valuable and incredibly important (to me and my business) programs that I NEED on any computer I own.

1201......what's a drm?
DRM. Digital Rights Management. Annoying sh*t that companies do to keep you from using their products.

If some company of @$$hats wanted, they could write their software installer such that it requires physical media in the disc drive to install. Several video games already do this, in addition to requiring media in the drive for using the game. But I haven't yet heard of or seen a productivity software which has stooped to that sh*t, that I can recall.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ahhhhhhhhhh...ok....wondering if mapping a network drive might not solve that

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,946 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
ahhhhhhhhhh...ok....wondering if mapping a network drive might not solve that
Odds are you don't have to worry about it-the only @$$hats who would do that kind of sh*t are Adobe and Autodesk.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
whew.....good thing Microsoft isn't a a$$hat.............lol

·
Registered
819 Posts
We have 3 here, 2 Linux and one windows. So far, for the windows one, we have only added downloaded programs, so I guess I'm not much help there. I tried to set up our desktop to share the DVD drive wirelessly but couldn't figure it out. I am pretty stupid there.

I downloaded some programs on the Linux, but quite frankly, it is extremely annoying trying to find programs worth having. You basically have to scroll through a long list and hope the title is descriptive enough. It also doesn't easily add icons to the desktop. You have to type in all sorts of code. Nothing is easy. I check the forums and people are always like "Oh, just add these 20 lines of code to some obscure file and everything should work." Yeh right. I looked into maybe trying a different form of Linux, but none of them give full functionality (like wifi--card readers--sleep).

I am selling my Linux one. I thought it would be fun to customize, but for most people it just isn't. Linux is confusing as heck if you don't eat-sleep-breath code.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Sorry - wasn't being glib, just saying that things seem to have been working right along.

Point is, it hasn't been a problem for a long time. It's kinda self-evident that what you are hoping for works.

fwiw, My last three work computers have been zero-spindle models.

If you do have drm issues, and if you don't have an existing computer to quicky peer-to-peer to glom a drive, it's about $60 to get a usb CD-rom at your local big box electronics store.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,946 Posts
24601 said:
We have 3 here, 2 Linux and one windows. So far, for the windows one, we have only added downloaded programs, so I guess I'm not much help there. I tried to set up our desktop to share the DVD drive wirelessly but couldn't figure it out. I am pretty stupid there.

I downloaded some programs on the Linux, but quite frankly, it is extremely annoying trying to find programs worth having. You basically have to scroll through a long list and hope the title is descriptive enough. It also doesn't easily add icons to the desktop. You have to type in all sorts of code. Nothing is easy. I check the forums and people are always like "Oh, just add these 20 lines of code to some obscure file and everything should work." Yeh right. I looked into maybe trying a different form of Linux, but none of them give full functionality (like wifi--card readers--sleep).

I am selling my Linux one. I thought it would be fun to customize, but for most people it just isn't. Linux is confusing as heck if you don't eat-sleep-breath code.
What make and model and how much ya think? I might gladly take it off your hands.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
and if you don't have an existing computer to quicky peer-to-peer to glom a drive, it's about $60 to get a usb CD-rom at your local big box electronics store.
Or save the money and the trip and just copy the contents of the CD to a USB Flash drive. This will usually work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts