Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I recently got a road bike I'm riding with mtb shimano SPD's and Giro mtb shoes. That is to keep one pair of shoes with the same cleats and just jump bikes whenever. I have also a MTB and we could say I'm more of a mtb'er than a roadie.

Long story short, after not riding much, I made a ~45km ride like 3 wks ago and got a sore achilles tendon and a swelling spot like 3-4" from the floor (bottom of my foot) over my ankle.

Went to the bike shop, lowered the saddle a little, adjusted the cleat angle another little bit and a bit towards arch of my foot and now the ankle spins much better but 30min (like 20kms) in the ride, my ankle starts aching and the foot feeling like it wants to rotate somewhere. I also have a hot spot on the outside of the foot over the area where the foot sits over the pedal.

Any pointers?
Other than rotate the cleats a little more, I'm out of ideas. I did not have this issue with the same shoes on the MTB, but then on the mtb I don't pedal as much as on the road bike.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
19 Posts
It sounds like you may have strained your soleus, possibly due to the incorrect cleat placement. Once you strain it, it can take a long time to heal. I would recommend getting a fit at another shop and keeping your milage down until you are healed. When I have that same strain, I keep the rides below 20miles and make sure to take it easy. I also stretch the soleus with a Trigger Point roller every night before bed. If you don't have a Trigger Point grid roller, you can also use a frozen water bottle. This video will show you how to stretch the soleus. Foam Roll Series-Gastroc/Soleus - YouTube

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sounds like you may have strained your soleus, possibly due to the incorrect cleat placement. Once you strain it, it can take a long time to heal. I would recommend getting a fit at another shop and keeping your milage down until you are healed. When I have that same strain, I keep the rides below 20miles and make sure to take it easy. I also stretch the soleus with a Trigger Point roller every night before bed. If you don't have a Trigger Point grid roller, you can also use a frozen water bottle. This video will show you how to stretch the soleus. Foam Roll Series-Gastroc/Soleus - YouTube
Thanks for the pointers. I'll look into it. It certainly help to back off the bike for like a week and it's been better since then. No more swelling, just a little pain.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
You also have to account for your age. If you are in your early 20's, it may just be a temporary soreness. If you are in your early 30's and beyond, it's time to start a regular strength exercise or there will be many soreness to come.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You also have to account for your age. If you are in your early 20's, it may just be a temporary soreness. If you are in your early 30's and beyond, it's time to start a regular strength exercise or there will be many soreness to come.
38 here, so things are not going to get easier as days go by, I know, LOL.

Oddly, I made 40kms inthe MTB this weekend and all my body is sore... but my ankle. Same cleats and shoes. Pedals are different model but same Shimano SPD's (647's on the MTB, 520's on the road one).

I'm starting to think it was simply overstress after riding a new bike outside my capabilities or my hamstrings/calves getting more worked out on the road bike. When I get on the road bike is my calves that give out the first. When riding the MTB is the quads.

Oh, well... I guess I have to just shut up and train harder (a little at a time) and more regularly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.