Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 13 weeks out from my ACL reconstruction and miniscus repair (small). I had the graft taken from my hamstring. I am ready to take a bat to my trainer and I can ride for two hours but, obviously if I try to go hard I get some pain.

PT says I should be pain free with my exercise... pain free are you kidding? I am a cyclist:mad2:

I don't see my surgeon for another 4 weeks and I am eager to join the peleton.

Does anyone else have this experience??? Should I really be pain free... Each PT I see tells me something different. Should I just write this season off and take up fly fishing???

· Registered
151 Posts
Get in touch with your surgeon (call his office, email, whatever). I was back on the bike 8 weeks after my ACL repair (My meniscus, LCL, and MCL healed themselves and a PCL isn't necessary). I didn't rejoin group rides for 4 months, when I was released by my doc.

What is hurting? There is a difference between suffering in your muscles and hurting from your injury.

And don't ask an online bike forum for medical advice.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mostly the source of my graft, the hamstring is sore... and I have a little swelling and loss of range of motion after a "longer ride" but, it goes away.

yes, you are correct, I should not trust the medical advice of anyone other than my PT or Dr. I was just wondering if there were other recovery stories out there.

Fly fishing it is...

· Registered
25 Posts
I was on the stationary bike for pain free training on the second week and was able to do 10 mins gentle jogging on a treadmill eight weeks after my ACL and miniscal surgery. Was back to full fitness within six months. Just play it by feel, if it niggles - push on, if it hurts then take it easy - if it really hurts, then stop. It seems harsh but worked for me, although everybody is different.

· Registered
89 Posts
The hamstring for me was the thing that barked at me the longest..Those tendons would get very sore and, tighten up for quite awhile. Don't be surprised if the grafted hamstring is significantly weaker for the first year after the surgery. My first ski season back I was certainly not 100%. Don't freak out though. It will get much better if you're patient with it and do the right stretches and strengthening exercises. My knee has stayed tight and solid for 10 years now and I'm skiing and cycling at a higher level than before the injury.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.