Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still continuing with the Commuter Challenge, ride to work 3 days a week or more for the rest of the summer. I think today completes 3 weeks? worth. I have had 2 close calls, i.e., drivers getting too close. 2 in the last 2 days, 2 of the 3 incidents by the same person i think.

Yesterday, a tow truck driver buzzed me, i could feel the heat off the engine close. It just so happens i know the owner of the company for a long time and his HQ is just up the street. I called and filed a complaint with his secretary. Big whoop, at least I got someone's attention. Today it was, of all things, a school bus. Again close enough to feel the heat off the engine and the front end mirror had to of been within a foot of my head. Could have reached out and touched the bus. Second time since I began commute riding a school bus has buzzed me, same area/time/direction, I suspect the same driver. I know the owner of the Bus Company, the garage is on the way. I stopped and made a big time stink with the dispatcher and the mechanics as i had kept my head enough to get a bus #.

Now in both recent incidents, it happened in the morning, on a 2 lane road, no traffic coming the other direction, the road has marginal berms at best and the pavement is fairly broken up and cracked near the edge fading into dirt and gravel. Neither driver left their lane as they passed me. I think the lane is 8ft each. I drive big 40-45ft motorcoaches on the weekends for extra loot and fun on occasion. For the life of me I can not understand the thought process that goes through an operators head when they make a close call like that. If I were a horse and buggy, would they cut it that close? I highly doubt it, they would swing wide to the other lane and pass or wait till the lane was clear and swing and pass. I just can not get over the fact that the lane was clear yet they chose not to cross the yellow line to pass. I guess time will tell if I get buzzed by #361 in the future or if she takes the other lane to go around me.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Sorry to hear of your negative experiences. I'd suggest takng the lane entirely, but seeing that the opposite lane was empty, I wouldn't have done it either.

BTW, IME...school bus drivers are the worst.

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
Yeah, sorry you're having such a problem with that. I been commuting for three years and that stuff happens all the time to me. Close calls by idiot drivers are the norm for bike commuters. You cant go around righting every wrong, or you'll be one busy little bee. All i'm saying is do whatever you can to make yourself as safe as you can. I cant begin to tell you how much I'd like to forcibly twist their heads off their shoulders everytime some idiot brushes too close to me and greatly endangers my life.

you are not alone

·
Registered
8 Posts
I use up the whole lane when things might get tricky, I don't give a damn if they have to slow down to my speed (as they have to) but I do keep an eye to the mirror just in case.

I have a theory that drivers who commute everyday or drive a lot might be driving unconciously like in 'automatic mode' and not paying attention anything that is not right in front of them. When you are right in "their way" they will wake up and consider you.

The law regarding bicycles in California says you must ride on the right side "whenever it is safe".

I always wear bright clothes or have my flashing led light on when I ride like this.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The road where this happened

parallels a low traffic 4 lane highway. It is not a high concentration traffic area. That is the stupid part of it, 40mph limit. Kind of peaceful in the morning, you hear the dew dropping off the trees and the animals running around in the woods, the trees shield you from the sun as you climb up the 1 mile hill in the cool morning air. And then some [email protected]@hat tries to mow you down. I take action when i can and let god figure out the rest.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.