Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We know the specifications and the design notes. Despite the critics who reviewed the new design with a fine tooth comb the new CAAD12 has been mentioned quite a few times with respectable admiration.
But Most of these reviews leave out the CAAD10. In fact there are reviews from critics who have never ridden a CAAD10 and are giving you a first time experience with the CAAD line in general. of the few reports of the mechanics who indulge in the CAAD lifestyle they really only point out the comfort. But do not go into detail about handling and acceleration. Lastly the CAAD10 was noted to be a decent climber, the new CAAD12 is actually excelling in this topic. If so, what is in the CAAD12s design that is making it better? is it in the fork perhaps? Because the Geometry doesn't seem to really be any different.

Finally to really narrow it down. Those who see past the specifications or actually look closely at it will note this. Specially for the Shimano 105 models. The Drivetrain has gone through a significant upgrade. The Crankset is ridiculously lighter and is indeed noted to be more compliant and stiff at the same time. The wheelset are actual Mavics instead of the barely acceptable entry level Shimano RS11. They are only lighter by a marginal amount but the spinning of the hubs and the acceleration of the Mavic rim is confirmed to be better then the Shimano. Of those who pointed these two significant upgrades very little is discussed as to how it is impacting the overall ride. They will continue to comment on the quality of the new CAAD12 but almost seem to overlook how switching out the FSA Gossamer Cranksetwith the highly sought after Cannondale Hallowgram Crankset. Then equipping the same Mavic wheels in replacement of the dreaded Shimano RS11 into the CAAD10. Will even out the playing field, Because it would be nice to know if besides comfort. If you really are getting anything more.

Really what I'm getting at is. If you were to give the CAAD10 the equivalent and in this case... actually justifiable upgrade!! to match the CAAD12. Take into consideration the brand new fork, smooth and trimmed out lines and the expansion of the BBshell. Apart from comfort. What are you really getting with the new CAAD12 frame?

Coming from a current CAAD10 owner who is slightly confused.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
What?

Are you trying to justify buying a CAAD 12? If you want a new bike, just buy one. Everything else is essentially marketing unless you're coming from some very old tech.

12 is higher than 10. There ya go. Good a reason as any.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh man actually really not. I really dislike the idea of having to burn $850 on a new frame or even $1399-1550 on a new bike. That's great bike money. and if anything. I'm trying to justify an $850 investment on a CAAD10 via hand built wheels and other weight saving investments + have a few bucks left over.

Even if anything my CAAD10 is not even a year old with no scratches... yet..... I really don't think I could justify a CAAD12 unless I really have the money to burn. But there is a reason I own a CAAD to begin with, it being one of the more budget friendly bikes for those who don't have a lot of hobby money

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Are you losing races by a fraction of a second that could potentially be erased with a CAAD 12?

If you don't want to buy one and don't have the money to do so, this thread is even more pointless than I initially thought.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Ride more, read less. You're confusing yourself and wasting time by scrutinizing meaningless marketing hype.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you losing races by a fraction of a second that could potentially be erased with a CAAD 12?

If you don't want to buy one and don't have the money to do so, this thread is even more pointless than I initially thought.
I really don't understand why you feel that way.
I am not one to really get into the battle of nuances with performance parts. But there is in fact a certain degree in which investing in a wheelset will make you faster. period. Cranksets are extremely debatable but again in this comparison. The Hollowgram crankset no doubt an upgrade from the FSA Gossamer.

I mean really man just the wheelset argument alone. How are you going to explain to me that wheelsets dont matter here. Next you'll tell me that Clip in pedals are a hoax.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I really don't understand why you feel that way.
I am not one to really get into the battle of nuances with performance parts. But there is in fact a certain degree in which investing in a wheelset will make you faster. period. Cranksets are extremely debatable but again in this comparison. The Hollowgram crankset no doubt an upgrade from the FSA Gossamer.

I mean really man just the wheelset argument alone. How are you going to explain to me that wheelsets dont matter here. Next you'll tell me that Clip in pedals are a hoax.
Do you understand what background and context is and how it relates to discussion? Same for the continuity of subject?

Why are you going on about wheels now? Or pedals? Where have I said anything about either of those?

Do YOU even know what you're trying to ask or discuss at this point?

You're like a rogue stream-of-consciousness example.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I bought a Cadd 10 for my son as a College Grad present. It was $1250.00 if I remember correctly. He rode the bike quite a bit and took it to Montana with him for Grad school. I guess he spent a great deal of time riding the rollers as Montana is a place with plenty of snow and cold.

My son likes the bike and has had no problems with it at all. The only thing he did to it was move the wheels from his other bike and the Fizik saddle. Anyway it's a light fast bike and his has worked well. No experience with the Cadd 12. The old wheels are still in the garage unused. His bike still looks real nice. He has taken good care of it for sure.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Do you understand what background and context is and how it relates to discussion? Same for the continuity of subject?

Why are you going on about wheels now? Or pedals? Where have I said anything about either of those?

Do YOU even know what you're trying to ask or discuss at this point?

You're like a rogue stream-of-consciousness example.
The whole point of this thread was to discuss the crankset and wheelsets.. To discuss how they will impact the feel of the either frame and if it will influence a riders overall decision. I'd appreciate it if you'd stop trolling my friend.

You come across as the anti upgrader who criticizes peoples physical condition. I crushed my goals this summer dude. and now going to the gym and building leg and core muscle to take a brake from spinning. I get out and ride dude. Trust me, and yeah so what I'm still new. Are you trying to break me down and want to rebuild me to be your prodigy or something? being nuts about gear doesn't mean I'm trying to win races its called being a geek. Look it up.

And dude like I said. I good wheelset will help you win a race by far more then fractions of a second. Specially if it is an uphill race where climbing wheels are even more of a clear advantage. Please read some articles on wheels.

Now as far as Shimano 105, Ultegra, Dura Ace, Campy or SRAM. Those will make the fractions of a second difference you were speaking about earlier. But my friend. good wheels have been proven to make a notable difference. Please educate me if I'm wrong.

As far as my original inquiry. AGAIN the new remodeled CAAD comes with said upgrade.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
The whole point of this thread was to discuss the crankset and wheelsets.. To discuss how they will impact the feel of the either frame and if it will influence a riders overall decision. I'd appreciate it if you'd stop trolling my friend.

You come across as the anti upgrader who criticizes peoples physical condition. I crushed my goals this summer dude. and now going to the gym and building leg and core muscle to take a brake from spinning. I get out and ride dude. Trust me, and yeah so what I'm still new. Are you trying to break me down and want to rebuild me to be your prodigy or something? being nuts about gear doesn't mean I'm trying to win races its called being a geek. Look it up.

And dude like I said. I good wheelset will help you win a race by far more then fractions of a second. Specially if it is an uphill race where climbing wheels are even more of a clear advantage. Please read some articles on wheels.
This is like slow-clap level material here.

The angles you're playing here and the various levels of absurdity you're perpetuating are so very unexpected that I can't very well turn away from this thread.

I'm very keen to learn more. And tell me more about these crushed goals and how the CAAD 10, while no doubt aiding your in said crushing, is now possibly holding you back from future crushing. Educate me, please, on these wheelsets and crankarms and the wattage cottage they no doubt reside beneath when you climb on a bike.

Rebuild you, you assert? Hardly! At this point I feel you may be the second coming of ASFOS.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

The angles you're playing here and the various levels of absurdity you're perpetuating are so very unexpected that I can't very well turn away from this thread.

I'm very keen to learn more. And tell me more about these crushed goals and how the CAAD 10, while no doubt aiding your in said crushing, is now possibly holding you back from future crushing. Educate me, please, on these wheelsets and crankarms and the wattage cottage they no doubt reside beneath when you climb on a bike.

Rebuild you, you assert? Hardly! At this point I feel you may be the second coming of ASFOS.
I mean I think your trying to push me around.

Go read some articles on FairWheelBikes that's where I started. Another form of information were several LBS where the mechanics happily discussed the advantage of good wheels and tires.

Your not going to win here. In this case you don't need to discuss watts man. Hub design alone will make for a faster accelerating hub. I mean really dude stop your pecking order bullshit. I'm sorry you've been riding for so many years to only be not intimidating to new riders over the web.

If you need to know
started with a 15 mph average. after summer it got to 19.5-22 mph average. With top flat of 33 mph. I'm hoping for 27 mph average next year.

All of this was without Clip less shoes.
Where I hear that just by clipping in you become faster.

Oh man I cant wait for you to tell me how clip less shoes wouldn't have made a difference on my average speed and never will... Go on.. Troll!! Troll boy Troll!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Alloy Rim Roundup - Fairwheel Bikes Blog
Hub Review - Fairwheel Bikes Blog

Discusses design. Then tries to help you pick which design will be best suited to your riding level.
The hub review is fairly in depth. From here you can read more books and articles. The conclusion is the same.
How much are the Mavic Wheels (+crank) are impacting over all ride quality. Please leave if you don't know the answer either. Your smearing human waste all over my post on purpose now. Seriously man Get a hold of yourself, I'm sorry this is the only place you can get an ego boost.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Neither wheelsets are much good. The Mavic wheels aren't anything special, and neither is that crank while I'm at it. That is not an Si SL 2 spider crankset, not even close. That's their heaviest and cheapest in house OEM crank, it's nothing special.

No surprise that the wheels and crank are marginally better but still not very good. This is older vs. newer entry level alloy bike stuff we're talking here, get a grip.

If you're actually worried about weight, your frame is perfectly fine, you just need better and lighter parts. You know this though. There's nothing magic about the 12 that the 10 doesn't have. You're right in that the geometry is very similar and so is the construction. The frame is not a limiting factor at all.

Now let's talk what matters here.

Do you have some crap tektro or whatever brakes? If so swap them immediately for whatever brakes match your levers. 5800 levers? Get a pair of 5800 brakes. 5700 levers? 5700 brakes. Now wheels.

Yes, you want new wheels and you can justify them. Handbuilt wheels are a great option. Get wide rims, something like 18mm or more internal width. Get hubs you'll be happy with and can afford. Run some real top quality tires in a wide with. I can recommend the GP 4000SII in 25mm or 28mm if they'll fit.

As for that crap FSA crank you have, I'd get rid of it too. I'd put on a matching Shimano crank, have a complete matching groupset for the bike.

Keep your bike, screw the 12, get yourself some nice wheels and brakes and maybe tackle the headache of the crank after.

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
If you need to know
started with a 15 mph average. after summer it got to 19.5-22 mph average. With top flat of 33 mph. I'm hoping for 27 mph average next year.
Wow. World tour pace in 2 years. Sweet. And that's without climbing. You are a god. Let us know who you sign with.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Next you'll tell me that Clip in pedals are a hoax.

Indeed. Created by the Chinese for sheer profit, just like "climate change."

1 - 20 of 42 Posts