Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
jason_haza said:
Think about it. Lots of big stars gone, every young buck out there is going to think he has a shot....their gonna tear each other apart out there.

I am actually real excited about this one, seriously.
It is certainly sad to see things like this happening in the sport, but I couldn't agree with you more.

At this point there is no clear favorite, and I think it will be very exciting to see how things play out. I could be classified as a Lance fan, but I have to admit that the last few years have been quite predictable and not all that exciting to watch. This year is going to be a completely different ball game.

My only prediction for this race, Dave Z will be wearing yellow in stage 1.

·
On your left!
1,301 Posts
agreed 2

I can just imagine what's being said in all the team conferences today...

Wide Open Baby!!! You want a win, then get out there and DO IT!

I'd like to see an old world battle break out...I'd even like to see a French team battle it out with Spanish or Belgian squad, only to have someone from Disco and Floyd put up a 1st and 2nd.

·
Still On Steel
2,396 Posts
jason_haza said:
Think about it. Lots of big stars gone, every young buck out there is going to think he has a shot....their gonna tear each other apart out there.
I think that's exactly right. I know all the teams keep themselves well informed about the strengths and weaknesses of every rider in the peloton, but that information is largely valid only because everyone assumes everyone else will play his usual part, ride in his usual role. In a "normal" Tour, the "heads of state" will let a breakway go on the reasonable assumption that there's no one in the break that can hurt them.

But now there's a big element of uncertainy. There will be breaks full of guys thinking, "Hey, with Jan and Ivan sitting at home, with a little luck, I just might win this thing." There will be lesser-knowns trying to make a name for themselves only to blow up; but there will also be better-knowns having to work harder than usual, risking a blow-up of their own, because they can't take the chance those lesser-knowns really will blow up, per the script.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.