Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Steaming piles of opinion
Joined
·
10,503 Posts
Scotty2Hotty said:
Anyone have this cookbook? Does yoo rekomend?
Get the Betty Crocker cookbook and use duck fat instead of Crisco. Same-same.


/edit: I love Ad hoc. But if I want to cook fussy, I want fussy results, not fancified home cookin'. I can't manage the subtlety.
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
Scotty2Hotty said:
Anyone have this cookbook? Does yoo rekomend?
Keller is a genius, but he charges a ton for his cookbooks.
 

·
Call me a Fred
Joined
·
16,999 Posts
Just get a woman to cook for you.
 

·
wut?
Joined
·
14,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bocephus Jones II said:
Keller is a genius, but he charges a ton for his cookbooks.
$27 on Amazon.

Edit: Half.com has it for $17. I shall buytheth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,488 Posts
I have Ad Hoc as well as The French Laundry, Bouchon and Under Pressure. It's a great book for keeping it casual while still getting a look at Chef Keller's approach to food. The French Laundry book is probably my favorite of the four just because it was so mind-blowing when it was released. Ad Hoc is closer to Bouchon (although American comfort vs. French bistro) but even more layed back. Under Pressure is primarily about cooking sous vide but is full of some really great recipes as well. I think his books are worth much more than they sell for just in terms of what can be learned from them even if you never do an actual complete dish. I agree with danl1 that you may not be completely happy if you're thinking fancy but it doesn't claim to be anything it's not and I'm assuming since you're asking that you already know what it claims to be. So yes, I'd recommend it.
 

·
wut?
Joined
·
14,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's the taragon chicken from Ad Hoc at Home that I just made.

Looks healthy, but isn't. Not unless butter is healthy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,488 Posts
Scotty2Hotty said:
Here's the taragon chicken from Ad Hoc at Home that I just made.

Looks healthy, but isn't. Not unless butter is healthy.
Nice! I don't worry about butter, it tastes good and has pretty much the same calorie density as any other fat. Like Julia Child always said "all things in moderation".
 

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
Joined
·
9,416 Posts
Scotty2Hotty said:
Here's the taragon chicken from Ad Hoc at Home that I just made.

Looks healthy, but isn't. Not unless butter is healthy.
Hey, the portion sizes look OK (unless there's a big bowl of mashed taters with cream or something out of frame), so I wouldn't sweat the butter. Hell, I'd have more green beans too. It all looks f*cking great.

If you must worry about what you eat, count all calories the same, and decide whether it's worth it to have less of something fatty, or more of something lean. Unless you have a diet that's likely to result in scurvy, worrying about what KIND of calories is just a way to wind up hating your food.
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
bikeboy389 said:
Hey, the portion sizes look OK (unless there's a big bowl of mashed taters with cream or something out of frame), so I wouldn't sweat the butter. Hell, I'd have more green beans too. It all looks f*cking great.

If you must worry about what you eat, count all calories the same, and decide whether it's worth it to have less of something fatty, or more of something lean. Unless you have a diet that's likely to result in scurvy, worrying about what KIND of calories is just a way to wind up hating your food.
The key to all fine dining is clarified butter. It's generally why stuff in restaurants always tastes better than homemade.
 

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
Joined
·
9,416 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
The key to all fine dining is clarified butter. It's generally why stuff in restaurants always tastes better than homemade.
Nah, a lot of times you want those milk solids for browning and rich flavor. The secret "tastes like restaurant" ingredient is shallots.

And love, naturally.
 

·
wut?
Joined
·
14,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LWP said:
Nice! I don't worry about butter, it tastes good and has pretty much the same calorie density as any other fat. Like Julia Child always said "all things in moderation".
Alll things in moderation, including moderation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,488 Posts
bikeboy389 said:
Nah, a lot of times you want those milk solids for browning and rich flavor. The secret "tastes like restaurant" ingredient is shallots.

And love, naturally.
The secret restaurant ingredient is "I didn't have to cook it or clean up the mess". :p

Brown butter solids are awesome. For an increased yield, add 200 grams of nonfat dry milk powder to 450 grams of warm melted unsalted butter on very low heat and let it go with occasional stirring until the butter is a deep golden brown and the milk powder is a rich brown color (think a little darker than peanut butter, too dark and it will be bitter). Pour it all into a heatproof container or another pan to stop the cooking (don't scrape the bottom of the pan if any of the milk powder has stuck to it, it will probably be burned underneath). Leave it at room temp overnight then heat it again just until the butter is very fluid. Pour it through a fine mesh sieve and you have brown butter in the container and brown butter solids in the sieve. You can take it another step by pureeing 200 grams of the solids in a blender with 120 grams of water and 30 grams of honey (or corn syrup, agave nectar, etc.) and then seasoning to taste with salt. Brown butter puree.
 

·
wut?
Joined
·
14,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here are a few of the things I've made from Ad Hoc so far.

I'm not sure what in what order I've uploaded these images: olives and feta, honey-glazed cipollini onions, and apple fritters.

I also made roasted pork ribs and crusted rack of lamb, but I haven't pictures.

I also threw in a random picture of some fried intestines I had in Chinatown this weekend. Not good. I repeat: NOT GOOD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,488 Posts
Scotty2Hotty said:
I also threw in a random picture of some fried intestines I had in Chinatown this weekend. Not good. I repeat: NOT GOOD.
Yeah, I've had enough people tell me "You don't like chitlins because you haven't had them cooked right. Here, try mine." to know from experience that they are just nasty critters. Doesn't matter who cooks them or how they're cooked. The Ad Hoc stuff looks awesome though.
 

·
Captain Obvious
Joined
·
11,876 Posts
Dinner party at S2H's place this weekend!!!!!
 

·
I like waterboarding...
Joined
·
1,164 Posts
Looks like theres poop in them ther intestines...

Edit: AdHoc is a great cook book! I have another , French Laundry.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top