Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
contamination as in some silicon from some spray. i used "mr sheen" on my bike, but i'm careful when i use it.
I didn't use any silicone spray on my bike. I wash it with just soap, degreaser on the chain and casette is applied using a toothbrush, and I lubricate the chain with a dropper. But the rotors are cleaned anyway.
in terms of displacement, while the MTB stuff does now have FM, i don't know if the pistons are machined the same internally for fluid displacement. chances are that they look the same, but who know without measuring them
I see your point, I suppose it's true, but most companies to be competitive today use as many interchangeable parts as possible. It saves on research and manufacturing costs. Fun fact: Volvo (just one example) offers 4-5 diesel engines today with main engine being the same. They add parts to make it more powerful like turbo or supercharger. Sometimes the change is just in the engine control unit. You can just reprogram it and get the more powerful engine.
Also Shimano does offer flat mount for MTB in SLX, XT and XTR range.
And they (including road ones) REAAAALY look the same :D
I imagine (I could be wrong) that they are all the same except for highest range XTR and dura-ace being of lighter material, but still dimension wise, the same.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It seems that flat-mounts are made for 140/160 front, 140 rear, that's it. Flip the orientation of the fork adapter for 140 or 160. Now, how can I use 180 in front?? Is there a flat-mount adapter for this?? Apparently there's an adapter for the rear to use a 160 instead of a 140, so I guess it could be mounted on the fork adapter? Two adapters, that sounds super ugly and many screws. Is there a one-adapter solution for 180mm? Thanks -
whisky makes a fork that can adapt for 180 rotors using a normal flat mount 160 adaptor. I just installed one on a customers bike and if you are willing to get a new fork you can do it.

61 - 64 of 64 Posts