Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.....Motobecane Elite to be exact. My co-worker is getting into biking, and loves her hybrid, but is thinking about suspension. Rather than getting a whole new bike (although I warned her that happens pretty easily! :p ) she'd like to add a front suspension fork.

Any brand recommendations? She's just a commuter and lunchtime rider; no need for 12" of travel, or to spend more than $200.

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
I've had 2+ years with a Spinner Odesa. Not necessarily "high end", but then again what selection is there at that level? The fork works well, disc-compatable, has an adjustable preload setting, and looks kinda sleek.

Peeping through google, there's some retailers, but I can't recommend any as my fork came with my hybrid. You can find a few on eBay from time to time.

·
Militant commuter
943 Posts
Plenty of inexpensive options to choose from on Ebay. Just try to figure out what size fork might be compatible with the frame (80mm travel? 100mm travel? Probably the former...).

My experience with suspended hybrids, though, is that they don't make the ride all that much smoother. If she's looking for Barca-lounger-like comfort, a suspension seatpost might make more sense.

·
Registered
15,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She's already got a suspension seatpost that came with it, FWIW. Maybe new, fatter tires would help? I'll suggest eBay in the meantime, but she's not much of a mechanic. Her brother might be able to wrench, though.

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
is the frame suspension-corrected? designed for a suspension fork? you can't just slap one on and expect it to be fully compatible and work fine. maybe an old "suspension" stem?

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Hybrid suspension forks.

are not as great of an idea as they might seem atmo.

As fred says, the frame is probably not suspension-corrected, so the handling characteristics may not be desirable.

Also, most lowend "shock" forks contain simply a spring, sometimes a little oil -- they're pogo sticks, with no shock absorber to speak of.

The fattest tire she can run, with the least pressure she can use without pinch-flatting, will probably ride smoother and be cheaper.

I think most hybrids that sell with suspension forks, sell because people like the look of them, and the concept of a "smoother ride" is a good sell, not because of their proven success.

·
Registered
15,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"Pogo stick" is exactly how it would be! John (being the real gearhead) looked up the bike and said she's already running the fattest tires possible for it.

Told her she might as well get a 2nd bike, leave the 1st one at work for lunchtime jaunts; take the other out for longer rides. Doubt she'll do that but I'm trying to talk her into trail riding. She rode down a flight of steps after me yesterday, mighty impressive for a noob! She's got mtb potential.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.