Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Beetpull DeLite
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I'm working on getting my '77 Raleigh refurbished. I have some of the parts and am wanting to send it to a powdercoater soon, but first I wanted to add some water bottle cages. I don't want to use the strap on ones (already tried one and it sucked), and don't want little clamps either I want true mounts.

Dave suggested using Rivnuts, which seems to be the way to go. Has anyone on here used them and knows what type or size to get? Or where to order them from?

Thanks for any help!

Brian

· Registered
421 Posts
Yep Brian, should work well. Rivet nuts come in a few different styles. For thin walled materials like frame tubes, the "knurled" type generally grips the best. Also, I would suggest the insert be "open ended" to permit more flexibility on screw length. Here is an example of a rivet nut that has both features showing a before and after install:

To purchase, I would suggest McMaster-Carr. They have an incredible selection of industrial fasteners with minimal quantity requirements:

https://www.mcmaster.com/

After opening this site, type in 3213 under Find Products. This will take you to the exact catalog page. They have both English and Metric threads in Aluminum, Steel or Stainless. As for the size, a #10-32 or M5 x 0.8 should work fine. Oh yeah, don't forget you'll need an installation tool too (which M-C also sells).

Hope this helps,

Paul

· Beetpull DeLite
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great, thanks! I'll have to order some today along with the cheaper tool. It'll still be half the price of one quote I received.

I figure the plain steel ones would work fine - I'll grab a bag of some open ended knurled metric ones for thin wall tubing.

Now I just need to make sure I drill holes in the right places.

· Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
GirchyGirchy said:
Great, thanks! I'll have to order some today along with the cheaper tool. It'll still be half the price of one quote I received.

I figure the plain steel ones would work fine - I'll grab a bag of some open ended knurled metric ones for thin wall tubing.

Now I just need to make sure I drill holes in the right places.
FWI have seen, framebuilders have a jig they use. If there's one in yer area, call em and see if you can't bribe em with beer for its use.

HTH

M

· Registered
65 Posts
Girch - try calling a couple of LBS's. I had a rivnut come loose on my old Cannondale and a couple of shops in Indy had the rivnut tool and nuts. I think I used Bike Wave. This may be a lot less expensive then buying the tool for a single use.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.