Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had business in London, so at the last minute I've managed to get into one of those Tours that follows the race route. I wish I could get there for the Alpe D'huez climb, but I'll be a day late. I won't be riding the full race routes, but will be riding portions just a couple hours before the race comes through. I am so feakin pumped to be doing this!!

So I know that it is over a 100 degrees currently, but I don't know what the temps might be on the tops of some of these mountains. I don't want to over pack, but I don't want to freeze either. any advice?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Great for you

I sadly don't have any advice for you but I must say you are one lucky person. Please give us a ride report when you get back. Enjoy!

·
Registered
5 Posts
If your riding on some of the biggest climbs take a warm jacket/rain coat. you'll only need it coming onto the summit and riding down.
It really depends if any glaciers are close by as the wind usually whips off the glaciers and cools things down near the top. I was waiting on the lauriet last year for the galibier desent and froze my ass off!,wind was coming straight off the glacier. Pulled the raincoat off 5kms down the decent back to bourg d osains as it was getting too warm(even though it was still raining).

·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
as peanuts wrote, a shell/vest is a very good idea for riding down the descents.

for non-cycling clothing - keep in mind that once the sun goes down it can get chilly up in the mountains.

good luck and enjoy, and count yourself lucky that you're riding alpe d'huez after the stage. from what friends have told me, it's nigh impossible to ride it the days before (too many drunk dutch/germans/etc). :)

bauerb said:
I had business in London, so at the last minute I've managed to get into one of those Tours that follows the race route. I wish I could get there for the Alpe D'huez climb, but I'll be a day late. I won't be riding the full race routes, but will be riding portions just a couple hours before the race comes through. I am so feakin pumped to be doing this!!

So I know that it is over a 100 degrees currently, but I don't know what the temps might be on the tops of some of these mountains. I don't want to over pack, but I don't want to freeze either. any advice?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.