Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have a question. Cannondale advise against moving spacers above the stem on bikes with a carbon steerer tube. I've read lots of posts about why it's not a good idea etc. and it all makes sense (I have no wish to crush my steerer tube with the stem).

However, I'd like to experiment with a lower bar height and I'm clearly not going to get a hacksaw out to do it.

How have people managed to spend time riding with lower bars before cutting the steerer tube? Do I need to get a longer compression plug? Can you get an adjustable compression plug so that you can move it as you move the stem on the steerer tube?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
21,725 Posts
So, I have a question. Cannondale advise against moving spacers above the stem on bikes with a carbon steerer tube. I've read lots of posts about why it's not a good idea etc. and it all makes sense (I have no wish to crush my steerer tube with the stem).

However, I'd like to experiment with a lower bar height and I'm clearly not going to get a hacksaw out to do it.

How have people managed to spend time riding with lower bars before cutting the steerer tube? Do I need to get a longer compression plug? Can you get an adjustable compression plug so that you can move it as you move the stem on the steerer tube?
Assuming your stem is already flipped to the lowest position, the obvious thing to do is to push the expanded down the steerer tube so that the stem is clamping around the expander.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Cannondale uses a close fitting plug type top cap which extends about 3cm into the stem (the length of a stem clamp), and no more. Hence the advice to have no spacers above the stem.

However in my experience, you'll be fine on a temporary basis with spacers above until you find the right setup. I rode my SS for a couple of weeks like this before cutting the steerer.

View attachment 278219

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'll probably move a single spacer on top of the stem and give it a go until I'm happy with the height.

I've certainly read plenty of posts by people who have done it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.