Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have an Ultegra 9spd triple set up with a Truvative rouler triple crankset.

I no longer wish to ride with a triple. Soooooo I have several questions.

if I switch to a compact cransket can I simply limit the adjustment on my front derailure screws and buy a short cage rear derailure to make it work?

Or do I need to buy a complete double system?

Would it be smarter to keep a triple front derailure to work with a compact crankset, and if so do I still need to get a shorter cage derailure?

Everything is shimano (for knowledge sake)

Thanks

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
sorry, campy guy here, so i have no clue, but i always thought that shimano shifters were indexed for the front, ie, 3 clicks and cable positions for your left shifter??

also, consider the cost.. cranks, maybe front deraileur, maybe rear as well !?... thats a lot of money for an older 9sp (assuming you put some miles on it..)

just get a double on your next bike IMO...

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Fanaticbiking said:
I currently have an Ultegra 9spd triple set up with a Truvative rouler triple crankset.

I no longer wish to ride with a triple. Soooooo I have several questions.

if I switch to a compact cransket can I simply limit the adjustment on my front derailure screws and buy a short cage rear derailure to make it work?

Or do I need to buy a complete double system?

Would it be smarter to keep a triple front derailure to work with a compact crankset, and if so do I still need to get a shorter cage derailure?

Everything is shimano (for knowledge sake)

Thanks
You would need a crankset, bottom bracket and front derailleur. Some report that the FD will work on a double. Going to a double and a compact??? Try the current FD and see if you like it. The shifters will shift either double or triple and the long cage RD will handle either, also. - TF

·
Registered
704 Posts
Fanaticbiking said:
Thanks, makes perfect sense.

Have the triple group up for sale now with stems and a wheelset if anyone is interested.

http://www.serotta.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15998
Did pretty much what you're looking at with my Ultegra ride last year - worked out fine, shifting was way much better on the double rig than on the triple rings too.

Suggest, if you don't have the instruction sheets than come with 'bits in their boxes', you go to the Shimano website and download the ones for setting up the front and rear gears. Might smack of RTFM, but it you follow the steps in order, you'll end up with shifting that performs as it should.

Most folk who gripe about shifters tend to follow the 'sling it on, mess with all the screws in sight and fuss when it doesn't work" model :eek:

Funnily enough, also have a triple front and rear gear spare someplace. Really should get onto ThiefBay and shift them...

I'm running a Shimano compact with the standard front shifter (Ultegra 10 Speed) and it works fine, BTW. Got my compact from Total Cycling in Northern Ireland - good service, fast shipping, somewhat cheaper than US prices I've heard mentioned.

Regards

Dereck

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
wankski said:
sorry, campy guy here, so i have no clue, but i always thought that shimano shifters were indexed for the front, ie, 3 clicks and cable positions for your left shifter??

9-speed Ultegra shifters are double/triple, same shifters.
Front shifters are actually not indexed. In a triple setup there should be 4 positions, big ring, granny ring and one position on either side of the middle ring, plus, with all but first generation, a half-stop trim position from the extreme left side.

Al

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Al1943 said:
9-speed Ultegra shifters are double/triple, same shifters.
Front shifters are not indexed. In a triple setup there should be 4 positions, big ring, granny ring and one position on either side of the middle ring, plus, with all but first generation, a half-stop trim position from the extreme left side.

Al
ahh, thanks mate ! i learnt somethin' new !! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts