Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello. forgive me if this is a stoopid question. can the reach on campy record levers be adjusted? i have small hands and at high speeds the reach is a little unsettling for me.
thanks ahead.

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts

· Registered
10,161 Posts
revised solution...

There can be a difference between different bars and the worst I ever found were the FSA K-Force compact bars I used last year. My new Easton EC90 SLX3 bars are a lot better. Noe of the bars I've ever tried however, produce the short reach that I want. I've modified every pair of levers I own. It's not a permanent change either. The epoxy can be removed with out much work.

The process for adjusting the reach, is not as difficult as it sounds. I wrote that procedure several years ago, but since then, I've found that 5-minute epoxy putty makes the job quite easy with none of the mess of using 5-minute epoxy glue.

All you have to do is clean the pin-rest area with acetone or lacquer thinner, mask the side of the lever and place a small amount of the clay-like putty in the pin-rest area. With the putty in place, squeeze the brake lever, push the pin back into place and gently let it touch the putty, so it conforms to the pin. If the putty want to stick to the pin, wipe the surface of the putty with a wet Q-tip. The reach to the levers can easily be reduced by 10-15mm. I still use a dowel in the 7/8-1 inch range as a gage for the minimum distance from the finger lever to the bars.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.