Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My front shifter (Veloce non-QS) has 4 and possible 5 clicks available when shifting the FD assuming I widen the set screws to allow the greatest swing. When I get the gate correctly set up (double compact) to the inner ring by adjusting the screw and then set up the outer ring, I have almost eliminated any adjustment for the 4th click. Is it correct to adjust this so that there are only 3 clicks between the far outer chain ring and the near inner chain ring, assuming that I allow enough space and assuming that the chain shifts smoothly?

Or do I need to widen the gap a little and allow 4 clicks? I figure that the clicks are pre-set to allow for a wide range of chain rings and FDs and you go with what is right, but I am constantly learning new things.

Thanks, sorry for so many questions, Campy newbie.

· Registered
10,161 Posts
info...

A non-QS FD usually only require 3 clicks to cover the full range of travel. If you're using 4, then most or all of the first click is not moving the FD cage to the right. It's no big deal because the finger lever will execute up to 5 click with a single sweep of the lever and there are actually 12 available. The maximum ever needed is 7 for a triple FD, which are never QS.

· Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks, I assumed that it would allow a range of adjustment. You are exactly correct, the 4th click is moving very little. I'm going to see if I can adjust it to just three and still keep the gaps accurate.

Well I tried, but no luck. The current setup just requires two full clicks and two 1/2 clicks to work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.