Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
JMKB2 said:
just picked up a specialized allez for my son. It has shimano spds on it, is it possible to adjust the clip tension to make it easier to clip in and out.
There are two adjustment bolts for each pedal. One in the front and one back. You'll need a 3 mm allen wrench to make the adjustements. Clockwise to increase tension and counter clockwise to decrease it. You want to keep the tension the same for the front and rear spring (ie make sure the red tension indicators match)

·
Le Misérable
4,377 Posts
The last SPDs I had made palpable 'clicks', for lack of a better word, as I rotated the allen screw to loosen or tighten the tension. This way, you can keep pretty good track of how far you adjust them, with or without the tension indicator (maybe they're standard now, but they didn't all used to have a visible tension indicator).

IME they're pretty forgiving, i.e. there is a lot of fudge room between too-tight-to-get-in-and-out-safely and not-tight-enough-to-prevent-unwanted-clipouts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.