Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Novatec F428SB rear hub and I think the preload might be off. Is the preload adjusted by changing the tightness of the non-freehub end cap?

·
Registered
734 Posts
I have a Novatec F428SB rear hub and I think the preload might be off. Is the preload adjusted by changing the tightness of the non-freehub end cap?
The F482SB doesn't have adjustable pre-load. Just tighten the end caps down about as hard as you would tighten your seat post clamp.

What symptoms make you think the pre-load is off?

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The F482SB doesn't have adjustable pre-load. Just tighten the end caps down about as hard as you would tighten your seat post clamp.

What symptoms make you think the pre-load is off?
There is a lot of resistance when I'm freewheeling. When I loosen the cap it's not quite as bad. Maybe the bearings are just shot? Which sucks because there are not that many miles on the hub, maybe 450.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Unless you took the bike to a car wash and shot pressurized water at the bearings, I wouldn't think the bearings are shot.

This is a perceptible thing when you are riding the bike, or the bearing feels sticky when you spin the wheel in your hand? If spinning it in your hand, does it feel gritty or just sticky?

Is the cassette body that's on there the original one? Do you have Campy or Shimano/SRAM drive train?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Random question... (I couldn't find a "hub body replacement" oriented forum!)

I have some cool disc hubs (anodised red 24H rear and 20H front), from Taiwan I believe, which I bought newish off a chap in Guilford. They are unbranded and so getting a replacement freehub body is tough as hell as I don't know where to look! The axle space is 15mm and the prawl/ratchet section of the alu body is 35mm. It's for a 10sp Shimano cassette.

Do anyone know where on earth (literally) I could find a replacement for this?

View attachment 278279 View attachment 278280 View attachment 278281

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unless you took the bike to a car wash and shot pressurized water at the bearings, I wouldn't think the bearings are shot.

This is a perceptible thing when you are riding the bike, or the bearing feels sticky when you spin the wheel in your hand? If spinning it in your hand, does it feel gritty or just sticky?

Is the cassette body that's on there the original one? Do you have Campy or Shimano/SRAM drive train?
Very, very, gritty when I spin the wheel by myself. Yes, the cassette body is original and it's Shimano/SRAM.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I don't have any good news for that one. We've sold I don't even know how many of those hubs, and they've probably collectively done a couple of million miles (seriously) and the only problem we've ever had with a hub was a gritty drive side bearing exactly like you describe. That wheel had been crashed and had done a full road and cross season but I rebuilt it for the guy. I tried everything before doing that.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't have any good news for that one. We've sold I don't even know how many of those hubs, and they've probably collectively done a couple of million miles (seriously) and the only problem we've ever had with a hub was a gritty drive side bearing exactly like you describe. That wheel had been crashed and had done a full road and cross season but I rebuilt it for the guy. I tried everything before doing that.
So should I replace the bearings? I see some hybrid ceramic on ebay for this hubset (front + back) for $30. This doesn't include freehub bearings but those seem fine. would replacing the end caps on anything have an effect?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.