Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

Has anyone adjusted the cones on the hubs of this wheel set? I have a pair, and the cones on the rear hub are a tad loose. I've worked on pretty much every earlier generation. Anything I need to pay attention to? Are the bearings sealed or loose?

Regards, Jared Purdy

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ugh cup & cone bearings aren't sealed. They're loose. Some ball bearing may be contained in a plastic carrier, but they're still considered loose ball bearings.
I seem to have managed to tighten it. I have the 2005 Record group, and the hubs are essentially the same. I've services those hubs myself for 16 years. Still my first couple attempts at this one didn't work. After my final attempt, I took into a reputable Campy/Colnago dealership and they looked at it and said, "It's fine". Go figure.

·
Registered
21,669 Posts
Greetings,

Has anyone adjusted the cones on the hubs of this wheel set? I have a pair, and the cones on the rear hub are a tad loose. I've worked on pretty much every earlier generation. Anything I need to pay attention to? Are the bearings sealed or loose?

Regards, Jared Purdy
Are they like other Campy hubs with a "lock ring" that is secured with a small Allen screw? If yes, adjustment couldn't be simpler: loosen the screw, turn the lock ring to remove play, tighten the lock ring screw. Repeat as needed. Hub should be adjusted so that there is no/minimal play when wiggling the rim.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
No, all my new wheels (WTB & DT Swiss) are disk and I thought everything went cartridge. I may be full of it since everything is working and I haven't got into them. It was also kinda a joke with the wording (to me).

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,673 Posts
No, all my new wheels (WTB & DT Swiss) are disk and I thought everything went cartridge. I may be full of it since everything is working and I haven't got into them. It was also kinda a joke with the wording (to me).
All Shimano hubs still have loose ball bearings. My preference in hubs, because I like my balls loose.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts