Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a hilly 50-miler on Saturday. Really felt myself losing steam by 40mi or so, and felt like crap by the time I finished. I just scratched it up to a "bad day"....

I wake up Sunday morning with a lot of congestion and sinus pressure. A cold?? WTF -- I just had a cold a few weeks ago! But yesterday, the symptoms changed -- congestion decreased a bit, but eyes are itchy/watering, LOTS of sneezing, nose running like a faucet, etc.. I've coughed and sneezed so violently for the last 24hrs that my whole core (even in my back) is sore, for chrissake.

I've never had any allergy symptoms to speak of -- is it common for someone to suddenly develop allergies in their 40s?? Do I try to see an allergist of some kind, or just tough it out?

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
yeah, it can be. have you moved, or changed something in the house or work? new jersey / gloves / laundry detergent?

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Creakyknees said:
yeah, it can be. have you moved, or changed something in the house or work? new jersey / gloves / laundry detergent?
I thought about that last night, and cannot come up with a single example of anything 'new' that might have introduced some kind of allergen. I'm stumped..

·
Registered
738 Posts
It sounds like flu, even though you just got over a cold of sorts you could be having a re-lapse of sorts. I'd hold off running to an allergist right away and tough it out and treat it as a cold/flu.

That's my medical advise and I will mention that I'm NOT a doctor and I don't play one on TV either (only on inter web discussion boards;)

·
Registered
261 Posts
I am 20 now and have had seasonal allergies since I was 11 or so. They make you miserable if you don't have any medicine for them. The symptoms you describe sound like what I experience with allergies. I have tried zyrtec(before it was OTC), allegra, claratin, non of them worked. The doctor recommended that I try Chlorpheniramine Maleate, which is OTC. It works like a charm.

My dad has horrible allergies, so I guess he passed them on to me.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
I've gone from no allergies whatsoever to severe sensitivity to some spring pollens (Mullberry in particular) over the past 10 years.

After nearly dying last year I started with Flonase back in February in order to get a good baseline before the trees try to kill me again this year. OTC products vary in efficacy, traditional antihistamimes like Benadryl help a bit, but the more modern drugs like Claritin and Allegra do nothing.

·
Bikespace member
4,445 Posts
it's possible. i didn't develop allergies till i was in my early 20's. was taking stuff almost every day for years. last year i didn't need to take anything all year! however this year has sucked again. i take a prescription nasel spray - naseral and OTC claritin. works for me, usually.

·
Registered
261 Posts
terry b said:
After nearly dying last year I started with Flonase back in February in order to get a good baseline before the trees try to kill me again this year. OTC products vary in efficacy, traditional antihistamimes like Benadryl help a bit, but the more modern drugs like Claritin and Allegra do nothing.
How has the Flonase worked for you?

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
I slowly started getting them worse and worse from about 28 on. Now I have a steroid nasal spray I use most every day in the spring and fall, or I'm miserable. Just renewed the prescription this morning, in fact.

I wind up just feeling blah, like I have a bad cold coming on that never quite arrives. The medicine clears me right up.

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
largegiant04 said:
Don't know about terryb, but it gave me a bloody nose. :eek:

·
Does it matter?
751 Posts
I'm 35 and mine started about 5 years ago, and got worse. I can smell the Santa Ana winds a day before they come. I'm always on Flonase and I rinse my sinuses 1-2 times everyday. Pop Benadryl (generic of course, buy the jumbo bottles at costco) when needed and use those breath right strips as needed sometimes at night. That full arsenal was taking good care of my head, then last fall something in the air gave me bronchitis for a while, and it seems now that I have that to look forward to, good thing the inhaled meds helped me out there. Allergies suck, I don't get colds or the flu, guess it's a trade off.

I guess you'll need to try things out to see what works for you. I swear by this though, seriously, http://www.neilmed.com/usa/sinusrinse.php

·
POGUE MAHONE
1,063 Posts
stay away from the dope, especially shooting steroids up your snoz. I developed allergies in my late 30's and after years of taking Flonase I went to a Naturopathic doctor.

I am 90% better than when I was taking Flonase.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
largegiant04 said:
The one year that I behaved like a mature adult and followed the regimen - daily use starting a month before allergy season - it worked very well.

You can deal with the nose dryness by spraying nightly with saline. Mine has not bled.

·
Does it matter?
751 Posts
Export A said:
stay away from the dope, especially shooting steroids up your snoz. I developed allergies in my late 30's and after years of taking Flonase I went to a Naturopathic doctor.

I am 90% better than when I was taking Flonase.
So what did you do? I for one resisted the use of medication, if at all possible, and tried so called natural cures, they didn't help me. Unfortunately I will always have to be on a nasal steroid (other issues as well), and I've been much better since I started using it. I'd would literally have my nasal passages close 100% if something was in the air, and things such as Afrin can only be used for a few days if that happens. I was pretty good last fall even with all the wildfires we had here in SoCal. So what did you use, I'm curious.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
I'm in the same lifeboat - I am normally very anti-drug but nothing natural worked. It comes down to being able to live relatively comfortably for 4 weeks a year or debating whether suicide is an option.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, all -- part of me was foolishly hoping for a simple solution, even though I knew better....

Looks like I need to do some more research and talk to the doc. Does being able to pinpoint specific allergen(s) that are the culprits aid in determination of appropriate meds or further courses of action?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts