Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I am no Guide
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to make a Clipless pedal choice.

Right now I am running an old set of double sided SPDs and my MTB shoes.

My plan is to get road shoes and pedals.

There are meny differnet choices out there.

What are the advantages/disadvantages to choosing a small footprint pedal over a small footprint pedal?

For example: Ritchey Pro Micro

Or a SPD-SL

These are just examples.

Thanks for the feedback,

A

·
Registered
19 Posts
What are the advantages/disadvantages to choosing a small footprint pedal over a small footprint pedal?
Um, I'll say, 'There is no difference between a small footprint pedal and a small footprint pedal!' Did I win?

;)

When I was 'researching' pedal/shoe purchases I was told that the smaller the platform, the greater the risk of hotspots from the cleat. I don't know if that is true or not. I went with CrankBros Quattros on my road bike and an mtb-type shoe (but it looks like a road shoe, go figure...at least I can walk in it). I had a problem with a hot spot under my left foot once, and my middle two toes on that foot went numb after about 15 miles. Once the shoes broke in a little more and I loosened up the laces, everything was cool.

But, I'm a complete and utter n00b, so don't listen to me. The hotspot issue is just what I was told/read a month or so ago. Good luck!

·
I am no Guide
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Um er uh

Ok

Well maybe it is just my understaning (or lack there of) but I have seen those Ritchey pedals and and the Shimano pedal is just a style example (I have not actually seen them) but other pedals I have seen in the body style of the Shimano appear to be much larger then the other example so it may just be some bad examples on my part...

What I am looking for is input on pedal size.

Ignore the the images from the above post then...

What are the advantages and disagvantages to a small footprint pedal vs. a larger footprint pedal?

Thanks,

A

·
Registered
339 Posts
It also depends upon the type of cleat used, for example Speedplay pedals are quite small but their cleat is huge as it swallows the whole platform of the pedal so the combination gives you a large platform where pedals like the Look Keo (the smaller pic you posted by the look of it) have a larger platform as part of the pedal itself.

Where you start to have hotspotting issues is mainly with smaller pedals with smaller cleats like eggbeater pedals that have the small cleat, that are great for maneuvarability on the mountain bike but can get uncomfortable on the road on long rides. I also had issues with my Quattro's when using the universal cleats on my MTB shoes as even though the pedal platform was larger the cleat is small.

I would look at other factors like:
- Ease of use to clip in (most are similar to clip out of) for example if you want something that is a no brainer to clip into get a double sided pedal like Speedplays or Quattros
- Clearance - Do you like to corner really tightly? Then pedal clearance might be something to look at, I had that problem with the Quattro's
- Price - Get what you can afford

Pedal choice is like saddle choice everyone has their favourite.

·
I am no Guide
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jaseone said:
Pedal choice is like saddle choice everyone has their favourite.
That is some great feeback thanks jaseone.

I think I lost sight of the part I left quoated there.

I guess I just want to make sure I make an educated choice, but I guess I won't relly know untill I pick my poney so to speak.

Thanks,

A

·
Registered
168 Posts
My shoes have a carbon/glass/plastic composite sole. The area under the ball of my foot doesn't bend at all. I don't think I could feel the difference between a tiny pedal and a huge one. If your shoes flex enough that you can feel the difference, then I think you need stiffer shoes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.