Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this is a real newbie Q, but are there advantages to a TT bike for training and fitness purposes? I don't plan to do any TRIs (can't swim well and hate running) but my weekly biking includes at least one ride that I consider a "sprint" (again - in a newbie's world) and I may move to at least 2 a week. I try to go all out for the full 15 mile ride - mostly flat. I'm wondering if a TT bike might help make those "sprints" even more effective workouts or purposes help work a different set of muscles. OR are the TT bikes just about going faster?

Sorry if that's a stupid question. Obviously I need to get to the LBS and see if they'll let me take a good ride on a TT just to try it.

· Two scoops of inertia.
530 Posts
I would think that mtb or fixed would do more to shake up your routine. I'm not sure about muscle groups, but it would force adjustments in how you apply power. Also a lot of people seem to consider TT bikes an unpleasant experience, despite looking insanely cool.

· Registered
5,196 Posts
I tend to agree

Once upon a time I had a bike set up as a TT bike. Not very comfortable; the seat needed to be moved forward and angled down, needed to get used to the TT bars and steering, then my neck would get a burning sensation from having to keep it in a new strange angled position. I mean, if you are doing this once a week, hardly worth it. Just learn to go fast on your regular road bike. You need to ride the TT bike alot more than once a week, just to get used to the position and steering alone.

· Registered
21,832 Posts
Single purpose bike

Homenetman said:
I'm wondering if a TT bike might help make those "sprints" even more effective workouts or purposes help work a different set of muscles. OR are the TT bikes just about going faster?
The only purpose of a TT bike is to help you go faster. They don't do anything to "improve" your workout in any way. Typically, their handling is not that great and they are not that comfortable to ride on. If you want a better workout, go harder, do intervals, get a training book, etc.

· Registered
151 Posts
You could tow a trailer filled with rocks and that will give you a better workout.

TT bikes are a one trick pony. They are faster in a straight line. They are worse than a roadie in every other way (climbing, sprinting, turning stopping and of course less comfortable).

If you've got some cash burning a hole in your pocket get a better roadie or a mountain bike or some new wheels or a coach or a new TV.

· Registered
92 Posts
+1 on the Fixed Gear

If you are looking for bike performance then get a fixed gear bike.

I've seen great performance gains from riding a fixed gear bike. Also, they are cheaper than tribikes with lower maintenance.

Best of luck.

J

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.